Bacterial Pyoderma - Permanent Cure? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Inglewood, New Zealand
Posts: 354
Bacterial Pyoderma - Permanent Cure?

Hey there all,

Bear is 2 years old. Male, neutered, healthy in all other respects.

His issue is a recurring bacterial pyoderma. I and the vet had thought it might be an allergy and we did a lot of work with his diet to try and track it down with no success.

During his neutering the vet took some major biopsy samples from his skin for analysis and determined it had a bacterial source. Great!

I tried a topical shampoo that knocked the rash back a bit, but it didn't clear up the rash. We then went to a 10 day course of antibiotics with three days of steroids to break the itch cycle, which did clear it up! There was a little scale left around his tail on his back, and I blasted it with another couple of shampoo jobs and he was clean.

Yay!

It's back now though, and he is due for another vet appointment to have another go.

No he doesn't worry at it or scratch his fur out or anything, and is high energy and cheerful. I just want that rash and dandruff gone.

Help and advice?

Ignorance is Fixable

Contrary to popular thought, life does not hinge around big decisions at crisis points, but small everyday decisions that lead almost inexorably to crisis. Virtue lies in not being lazy when choosing, even in a small way.
Oskar der Drachen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 09:58 AM
Master Member
 
kbella999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 813
I've been battling with this for a long time. The best thing I've found so far is using coconut oil internally and externally. I still have the problem but it is less with the CO. I've done the antibiotics/steroids and it would clear up but then return. The baths seem to help also but I try to avoid bathing him to much.
kbella999 is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 11:14 AM
Crowned Member
 
Sunflowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Inactive
Posts: 9,023
We have had this ongoing until I was ready to tear my hair out.

I have finally managed to keep it under control by doing this, plus using a zinc oxide cream on the sores that still appear:
The Simple Home Remedy that Cures Most Canine Skin Issues - No Drugs Needed | Life With Dogs
Sunflowers is offline  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Master Member
 
kbella999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 813
I'll have to give this a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
We have had this ongoing until I was ready to tear my hair out.

I have finally managed to keep it under control by doing this, plus using a zinc oxide cream on the sores that still appear:
The Simple Home Remedy that Cures Most Canine Skin Issues - No Drugs Needed | Life With Dogs
kbella999 is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 11:37 AM
Senior Member
 
graciesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Agassiz, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 352
Jazz had puppy pyoderma on her belly. The vet recommended a scrub called "hibitane". It is the scrub that they use in hospitals before surgery, but you can get it, or similar at your local pharmacy. My local pharmacy didn't stock the hibitane brand, but had a similar product called "stanhexidine". The bottle says it is cholrhexidine glucomate solution. Don't know if this will work for you, but it worked like a charm on Jazz.
graciesmom is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 11:55 AM
Crowned Member
 
Sunflowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Inactive
Posts: 9,023
I think we tried 20 different remedies before the one above.
Sunflowers is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 12:28 PM
Master Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 930
Traveler has it. Staph. Greasy-big dandruff flakes, smells but not yeasty smell.
Itch stops almost immediately with Apoquel which is just about impossible to find since it's new and most vets are sold out. Non steroid antibiotic called cefpodoxime. Weekly bath with Douxo chlorhex shampoo and leave in resiketochlor.

The dermatologist vet said to follow this routine and wanted us back for environmental allergy tests which we are probably not going to do.
You can get the Douxo shampoo and resiketochlor on line. The shampoo has to be the one called Chlorhexidine PS + Climbazole. They have a whole line of stuff but this one works the best.
Traveler's Mom is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Master Member
 
kbella999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 813
I found this on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Douxo-Chlorhexidine-Climbazole-Shampoo-DOGS/dp/B000OC0QVM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1397838142&sr=8-4&keywords=Douxo+shampoo. Would this be safe to use around ears and face? How often would you suggest bathing them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler's Mom View Post
Traveler has it. Staph. Greasy-big dandruff flakes, smells but not yeasty smell.
Itch stops almost immediately with Apoquel which is just about impossible to find since it's new and most vets are sold out. Non steroid antibiotic called cefpodoxime. Weekly bath with Douxo chlorhex shampoo and leave in resiketochlor.

The dermatologist vet said to follow this routine and wanted us back for environmental allergy tests which we are probably not going to do.
You can get the Douxo shampoo and resiketochlor on line. The shampoo has to be the one called Chlorhexidine PS + Climbazole. They have a whole line of stuff but this one works the best.

Belinda
Rusti EAC, TN-N, TG-O, WV-N, NCC, NJC, CGC, GSD Diva
Jerry Lee AXP, MJP, OAC, TN-N, WV-N, NCC, NJC, SPJ, UAG1
kbella999 is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 01:28 PM
Crowned Member
 
Sunflowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Inactive
Posts: 9,023
I would not use that shampoo around the ears and face, and if you use a shampoo it needs to be done every other day and is very tedious.
Do you try the iodine method. You use a washcloth and you can wring it out so that it doesn't drip, and you can do it twice a day very easily. I thought it would stain, but it doesn't, because you put a few drops in about 1/3 cup of water.

Last edited by Sunflowers; 04-18-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Sunflowers is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 02:18 PM
Master Member
 
kbella999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 813
Is the iodine safe to use around ears and face specifically rim of ears and above the eye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
I would not use that shampoo around the ears and face, and if you use a shampoo it needs to be done every other day and is very tedious.
Do you try the iodine method. You use a washcloth and you can wring it out so that it doesn't drip, and you can do it twice a day very easily. I thought it would stain, but it doesn't, because you put a few drops in about 1/3 cup of water.
kbella999 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome