German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Bacterial Pyoderma - Permanent Cure? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/439689-bacterial-pyoderma-permanent-cure.html)

Oskar der Drachen 04-17-2014 06:57 PM

Bacterial Pyoderma - Permanent Cure?
 
Hey there all,

Bear is 2 years old. Male, neutered, healthy in all other respects.

His issue is a recurring bacterial pyoderma. I and the vet had thought it might be an allergy and we did a lot of work with his diet to try and track it down with no success.

During his neutering the vet took some major biopsy samples from his skin for analysis and determined it had a bacterial source. Great!

I tried a topical shampoo that knocked the rash back a bit, but it didn't clear up the rash. We then went to a 10 day course of antibiotics with three days of steroids to break the itch cycle, which did clear it up! There was a little scale left around his tail on his back, and I blasted it with another couple of shampoo jobs and he was clean.

Yay!

It's back now though, and he is due for another vet appointment to have another go.

No he doesn't worry at it or scratch his fur out or anything, and is high energy and cheerful. I just want that rash and dandruff gone.

Help and advice?

kbella999 04-18-2014 08:58 AM

I've been battling with this for a long time. The best thing I've found so far is using coconut oil internally and externally. I still have the problem but it is less with the CO. I've done the antibiotics/steroids and it would clear up but then return. The baths seem to help also but I try to avoid bathing him to much.

Sunflowers 04-18-2014 10:14 AM

We have had this ongoing until I was ready to tear my hair out.

I have finally managed to keep it under control by doing this, plus using a zinc oxide cream on the sores that still appear:
The Simple Home Remedy that Cures Most Canine Skin Issues - No Drugs Needed | Life With Dogs

kbella999 04-18-2014 10:23 AM

I'll have to give this a try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflowers (Post 5394689)
We have had this ongoing until I was ready to tear my hair out.

I have finally managed to keep it under control by doing this, plus using a zinc oxide cream on the sores that still appear:
The Simple Home Remedy that Cures Most Canine Skin Issues - No Drugs Needed | Life With Dogs


graciesmom 04-18-2014 10:37 AM

Jazz had puppy pyoderma on her belly. The vet recommended a scrub called "hibitane". It is the scrub that they use in hospitals before surgery, but you can get it, or similar at your local pharmacy. My local pharmacy didn't stock the hibitane brand, but had a similar product called "stanhexidine". The bottle says it is cholrhexidine glucomate solution. Don't know if this will work for you, but it worked like a charm on Jazz.

Sunflowers 04-18-2014 10:55 AM

I think we tried 20 different remedies before the one above.

Traveler's Mom 04-18-2014 11:28 AM

Traveler has it. Staph. Greasy-big dandruff flakes, smells but not yeasty smell.
Itch stops almost immediately with Apoquel which is just about impossible to find since it's new and most vets are sold out. Non steroid antibiotic called cefpodoxime. Weekly bath with Douxo chlorhex shampoo and leave in resiketochlor.

The dermatologist vet said to follow this routine and wanted us back for environmental allergy tests which we are probably not going to do.
You can get the Douxo shampoo and resiketochlor on line. The shampoo has to be the one called Chlorhexidine PS + Climbazole. They have a whole line of stuff but this one works the best.

kbella999 04-18-2014 12:24 PM

I found this on Amazon . Would this be safe to use around ears and face? How often would you suggest bathing them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traveler's Mom (Post 5395153)
Traveler has it. Staph. Greasy-big dandruff flakes, smells but not yeasty smell.
Itch stops almost immediately with Apoquel which is just about impossible to find since it's new and most vets are sold out. Non steroid antibiotic called cefpodoxime. Weekly bath with Douxo chlorhex shampoo and leave in resiketochlor.

The dermatologist vet said to follow this routine and wanted us back for environmental allergy tests which we are probably not going to do.
You can get the Douxo shampoo and resiketochlor on line. The shampoo has to be the one called Chlorhexidine PS + Climbazole. They have a whole line of stuff but this one works the best.


Sunflowers 04-18-2014 12:28 PM

I would not use that shampoo around the ears and face, and if you use a shampoo it needs to be done every other day and is very tedious.
Do you try the iodine method. You use a washcloth and you can wring it out so that it doesn't drip, and you can do it twice a day very easily. I thought it would stain, but it doesn't, because you put a few drops in about 1/3 cup of water.

kbella999 04-18-2014 01:18 PM

Is the iodine safe to use around ears and face specifically rim of ears and above the eye?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflowers (Post 5395545)
I would not use that shampoo around the ears and face, and if you use a shampoo it needs to be done every other day and is very tedious.
Do you try the iodine method. You use a washcloth and you can wring it out so that it doesn't drip, and you can do it twice a day very easily. I thought it would stain, but it doesn't, because you put a few drops in about 1/3 cup of water.



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2