Serious Problem! I'm not sure what to do! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2014, 07:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Serious Problem! I'm not sure what to do!

Hey, so it's 7 in the morning and I just had to clean up my dog's cage because he had diarrhea and couldn't keep it in for some reason! Earlier today (yesterday), I came home and the exact same thing happened, he went everywhere in his cage. He is crate trained and house broken, I'm worried that he may be sick! I am taking him to the vet tomorrow if the diarrhea persists and he does not get any better. I heard that keeping him off his food for 12-24hrs is a solution to let his stomach settle. But recently he has not been pooping solid. So I'm a bit worried. What should I do? I will take him to the vet if this happens again! Thanks
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Update:
I just got off the phone with the vet, and they said I should keep him off his food til tonight and feed him a bland diet and see how he does. He is acting fine and everything so the vet said that maybe he just has a bad stomach ache and it needs to run it's course. If he is not doing better by tonight and his stool is not solid yet, I will definitely take him to the vet tomorrow to be checked up on. Mushu is acting fine and drinks his water, I'm just very worried about him!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with the Vet, feed beef and rice tonight, maybe even add a little canned pumpkin to help firm up stools. He may have eaten something that gave him an upset tummy.

If his stools don't clear up by saturday then I would take him to the Vet.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 07:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Aw poor guy. I'd take him in now. Could be coccidia or giardia (spelling is probably wrong for both), could be worms, could be nothing. But with a puppy I wouldn't wait. When you do give him the bland diet, mix in some plain canned pumpkin and plain yogurt, and get some slippery elm which will help his digestive track to heal.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

To be more specific, it needs to be white rice. Brown is an irritant to an inflamed bowel. Make sure he stays well hydrated. Giving a 1/4 cup of coconut water (pure, not flavoured, no preservatives) 2-3x a day will help replace electrolytes. So will Pedialyte...however, coconut water has antibacterial properties.

The rice needs to be cooked 2x as long with 2x the water. It is the starch from white rice that benefits.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

he seems to be doing okay right now, I haven't fed him anything yet and he's feeling normal. I'm just waiting for tonight to see how he is before I take him to the vet. Thank you guys for the suggestions! I might have to go out and buy white rice since Im out D:

so i would just cook the rice 2x as long and 2x water? 1cup rice = 2cups water?
Old 04-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensLife View Post
he seems to be doing okay right now, I haven't fed him anything yet and he's feeling normal. I'm just waiting for tonight to see how he is before I take him to the vet. Thank you guys for the suggestions! I might have to go out and buy white rice since Im out D:

My bag of rice says 1c rice, 2c water, cook for 15 mins.
So 2x would mean 1c rice, 4c water, cook for 30 mins.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensLife View Post

I want to make sure that you are aware that some GSDs are very stoic. Meaning, they have a high level of pain tolerance. You may think he is feeling normal, when actually he is not.

Certainly not saying you should rush off to the e-vet, but if things start going south, it could happen very quickly.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You can also feed boiled chicken with the white rice. We don't eat alot of red meat in my house, but I always have chicken or fish readily available, so the chicken works for me
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 03:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I could have a stomach bug - mine have gotten it sniffing a sick dog's poop while out walking.

Chicken is good for a bad stomach. If you microwave it in about half a cup of water, it makes a broth that will make the rice taste better. I use boil in bag white rice

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.