Cut pad...can it wait until morning for vet? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cut pad...can it wait until morning for vet?

Tucker just came in and blood went everywhere. Once I was able get a look, I began breathing again when I found the cut on the pad of a rear foot. I've cleaned it as best I could (120lb 1yo dog w/no meaningful help...so not as well as I'd like). It is wrapped and he's in his crate.

Can it wait for my vet in the morning? We have a good ER vet close by that I will take him to if the bleeding doesn't stay under control, but I'd like to wait if possible. The ER vet is expensive and like everyone else, saving the extra funds for serious stuff would be nice if he can wait until morning.

That said, if there is any risk to waiting, I'll throw him in the car now.

Doing anything more on my own besides keeping it wrapped would be tough without my oldest daughter here to help me.

Thanks

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
belladonnalily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

I've gone through several cut pads with Woolf. First one, I panicked, called the vet. They said unless it was really deep, they would just clean it up, medicate and attempt to wrap it. If deep, they would put a couple of stitches in. So instead of the vet bill, I did the same, cleaned it up, neosporin and tried to wrap it (you know how long that lasted lol). I did keep putting coconut oil on it so it wouldn't dry out and crack as it was healing. Worked so far.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Twyla. We wrapped it and of course he chewed it off the instant I left the room. Its stopped bleeding now and he's quiet in his crate, so we're good so far. The only thing that worries me is that I couldn't clean or inspect it very well. My daughter will be home to help me take him in early in the morning so I'm hoping we're okay.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

My girl tore her pads up playing with some kids on blacktop. All I did was limit her movement, and spray some vetricyn on them. Ive also crashed my share of bicycles and motorcycles, you just clean it, theres not much for an emergency room or vet to do.
volcano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 11:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Unless it looks like stitches are needed or you can't seem to stop the bleeding, i wouldn't bother with the vet at all. Is it a cut that you would go see your doctor about, or would you take care of it at home? The same approach applies to your dog. Just keep an eye on it.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've dealt with a few cut pads. Just washed it good and kept an eye on it. To keep dirt out of it, I cut the toe off an old sock, fitted it over the foot, and attached it to the leg with vetwrap or first aid tape.
angierose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Tucker just came home from the vet. He needed lots of sutures but he'll be fine. Just a matter of keeping him quiet for a few days.

BRAG ALERT:

This was his first "boo-boo" and I was nervous about how he would do being left there...but I neednt have worried. When I picked him, I found that they hadnt seen the need to put him back in his kennel after surgery. He was lounging on a dog bed in the open exam room watching dogs come and go and hanging out with the resident Cavalier Spaniel. The vet staff wanted to keep him, and the vet said he had the nicest disposition of any GSD that had come thru his doors in 30+ years of practice.

So, in spite of wishing it never happened, I did learn that my boy is as wonderful as I thought he was

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.