Did I make a big mistake? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Did I make a big mistake?

Hello all,

I just got my 6 m/o Tiberius neutered at my preferred vet. I was getting some pressure from the family to have it done and all of the typical stereotypes were being thrown at me. "Prevents marking, makes them less aggressive, prevents wandering" and the like.

After reading some more articles on here and some breeders though, I feel as though I've made a big mistake. Many opinions seem to hold that neutering should not be done until 1.5-2 years if at ALL. Or ONLY if there is an immediate health requirement for doing so.

Honestly, I feel HORRIBLE and have been extremely upset at work when I called the vet to hear that the procedure was already done and he is recovering.

Are the claims of being a "forever puppy" having skeletal issues and not filling out like a normal male truly founded? Any replies would be greatly appreciated, I feel like I short-changed my best buddy
Corvus Laeus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Why worry now? It's done, your boy is neutered.

Keep him fit and lean and on a high quality food, keep up with his medical care and you will be fine.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 04-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What's done is done, as the saying goes "there's no use crying over spilled milk." There are dogs neutered or spayed at 8 weeks that live long and happy lives and dogs never neutered or spayed that pass away at young ages. I wouldn't worry about what could have been or may be

BTW - I know plenty of males that were neutered at 6 months that filled out just fine. Delgado was neutered at 10 months and I've never once had someone ask me if he was a boy or girl

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

your dog will be fine
forever puppy and that type stuff is paranoia borne it seems to me as we have neutered young and neutered later and it is their personality more than hormones
plenty of intact goofballs as well as altered dogs with mature personalities to prove that theory wrong
hormones can play a role in aggression which is why the male of the species no matter what species it is tends to be more aggressive
they develop this trait to potentially fight for mates so it makes sense that they will be more aggressive towards others of their species when mature
training plays a large role as well in aggression towards humans as well as marking and of course you need to prevent wandering whether intact or neutered
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
BTW - I know plenty of males that were neutered at 6 months that filled out just fine. Delgado was neutered at 10 months and I've never once had someone ask me if he was a boy or girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Why worry now? It's done, your boy is neutered.

Keep him fit and lean and on a high quality food, keep up with his medical care and you will be fine.
True, true thank you both. I was just looking for a bit of reassurance. He was on pure raw for the first 4 months and has been on Nature's Variety rotating between simple protein/starch and the kind with freeze-dried raw. I just kept reading about some bad experiences and not feeling the greatest about the decision.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

One of Archer's 'pack walk' chums is a GSD the same age as him, and he was neutered at 6/7 months. He's slightly more feminine looking in the face ( archer has a big block head on him) and he's not as lean or a muscled as Archer, but he's filling out nicely. Don't get too upset, you did what you thought was right for your dog, and as others have said, plenty of neutered dogs live long happy stress free lives. Just make sure you feed a good quality food and don't let him get too chunky
Arlene/Archer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

There are SO many things to worry about that if you dwell on them all then you'll probably make yourself sick, lol! The choices we have to make on our pets' behalf occur daily. Best food? Strenuous exercise? Non-core vax? On and on! We do the best we can, that's the bottom line. Neutered young happens all the time - my 1st GSD was, and he lived to almost 11 years without any issues - aside from his flea allergies which had nothing to do with not being intact.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus Laeus View Post
Are the claims of being a "forever puppy" having skeletal issues and not filling out like a normal male truly founded? Any replies would be greatly appreciated, I feel like I short-changed my best buddy
My boy was neutered at around 4 months. Does he look like he is not a normal male?

Full size head, normal body and 12 years old. Playing with my puppy.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 11:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Your dog will be fine. The studies that are usually quoted, don’t actually have any statistical significance. There is basically no “control group.” And the increases and decreases in risk for disease X is usually less than any acceptable p-value for a scientific study. If you read the studies, the language is usually very ambiguous and rarely are actual numbers told.

Most of the causations are actually just correlations…but correlation does not ever prove causation and because of the wide variety of other environmental factors that are not controlled in the studies, its hard for me to believe that their conclusions are valid.

I’ll tell you that your dog will probably not be as masculine looking or filled out as an intact male…but that’s all appearance and has very little to do with health. I have a female right now that was spayed early (I didn’t own her). She does look much more “puppy like” than her sisters (from the same litter). I could care less. She’s a wonderful dog, has all the working ability and drive that her sister’s have, and I don’t’ have to deal with heat cycles and my male looking his head every 6 months.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 11:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Agreed Blanketback. I used many member's previous experiences and advice here on the board to get Tiberius on his raw diet and to work some beginning training and exercise into his development. One of the other things I was so worried about early on was going up and down stairs. I kept telling myself I would carry him down stairs until he was almost a year old to prevent any damage to developing growth plates, etc. Yeah that didn't happen

He is an extremely handsome boy and I think he will continue to fill out. He weighed in at 49.1lb this morning and tomorrow is his 6 month birthday. He started off pretty skinny though and had to get through some worms before starting to put on weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.