New strain of Parvo - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2014, 11:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm not sure how new it is. Doing a quick search I found a story from 2008 saying much of the same things.

Socalmountains.com: Forums / YOUR PETS / NEW STRAIN OF PARVO, HERE IS THE INFO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2014, 11:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
Just saw this on Facebook. Does anyone have more information?

"FYI huge parvo outbreak in SoCal we have lost two dogs and have a third in er... Our vet said to warn all rescues about it as there's a new strain that attacks and kills dogs rapidly worse than all other strains. Yesterday, Romeo a five mo old pup we have went into full blown seizure and bled and peed all over. I took him to our vet to get checked out for lethargy and we ended up with him seizing and having blood and urine come out of his body from both ends he went up to a 107 temp from seizure and passed away on the vet table after trying everything to bring him back he wouldn't come back he is the second one to contract the virus from my rescue that hasn't lived... Three other rescues also had dogs die this week. He is sending samples of their blood to be tested to try to help get a cure in the future for dogs. There is NO vaccine for this parvo strain immediately start vet treatment if dogs show following signs: excessive drooling, runny nose, weight loss or loss of appetite, kennel cough, immobility, fever... The photos below show a rapid decrease in health within only two days time frame watch your dogs for any signs of sickness and take them in immediately with even the slightest problem!"
That's very scary.I gave my pup all the vaccinations needed but I'm seriously considering giving him another booster shot.He will be 5 months 1/2 this coming Saturday and my vet said that it wouldn't be a bad idea and it won't do any harm to my boy.Has any one done this before? Thanks for your reply in advance.
HansGFG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2014, 11:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansGFG View Post
That's very scary.I gave my pup all the vaccinations needed but I'm seriously considering giving him another booster shot.He will be 5 months 1/2 this coming Saturday and my vet said that it wouldn't be a bad idea and it won't do any harm to my boy.Has any one done this before? Thanks for your reply in advance.
My vet is recommending a 4th shot. My boy is about 5 1/2 months too. I didn't want to over vaccinate but now I am thinking that maybe its not a bad idea.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 12:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansGFG View Post
Doing a titer test would make more sense to me than another vaccine.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 12:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
My vet is recommending a 4th shot. My boy is about 5 1/2 months too. I didn't want to over vaccinate but now I am thinking that maybe its not a bad idea.
That was my concern as well.My Hans has had his 4th set of shots also.This is quite alarming to me since I live about 20 minutes away from O.C. There's a great dog beach there that I've been thinking about taking my boy to,now I'm not sure,at least I'll wait till his immune system is stronger.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:16 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Doing a titer test would make more sense to me than another vaccine.
What exactly does it consist of (titer test)
Old 04-14-2014, 12:18 AM   #17 (permalink)

The last that I heard, the newer strain of parvo, which is the 2c the post from trcy mentioned, is not like what the facebook post describes. Given the way that the one puppy is described in passing I would have chucked it up to poison or distemper and not parvo. The current strains of parvo hit rapidly dividing cells first, and the most rapid in dogs who are no longer in utero tends to be the bone marrow and the intestines. They're constantly active, always making new cells. If a puppy is younger than 8 weeks old when they get parvo it has been known to cause cardiac problems and a quick death, so that wouldn't be new in a younger puppy.

If that is just a facebook remark that someone has mentioned, I'd be taking it with a grain of salt and looking for more credible sources to say that something has happened that seems to be spreading. The mode of action is so far from what parvo generally does, I would imagine them considering distemper (which does have a neuro portion to it) or some kind of poisoning more than just parvo. Cluster seizures can cause a huge temperature spike, which can send an animal into DIC, which causes the bleeding, bruising and eventual total system shut down and death.

Too little definitive information to take it 100% seriously, IMHO. Perhaps just be cautious about where your dog goes if you are in that area and wait to see if more reports come up. Generally speaking an outbreak of anything that causes a lot of sickness/death will end up in the news. We had to do a public service announcement one year about parvo because it was just so bad instead of a handful of cases a month, we had easily pushing a dozen a week.
Colie CVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 12:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colie CVT View Post

If that is just a facebook remark that someone has mentioned, I'd be taking it with a grain of salt and looking for more credible sources to say that something has happened that seems to be spreading.
This is a facebook post that is going around through the rescue threads I'm on. I copy and pasted because I don't know how to link to it.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 12:32 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colie CVT View Post
The last that I heard, the newer strain of parvo, which is the 2c the post from trcy mentioned, is not like what the facebook post describes. Given the way that the one puppy is described in passing I would have chucked it up to poison or distemper and not parvo. The current strains of parvo hit rapidly dividing cells first, and the most rapid in dogs who are no longer in utero tends to be the bone marrow and the intestines. They're constantly active, always making new cells. If a puppy is younger than 8 weeks old when they get parvo it has been known to cause cardiac problems and a quick death, so that wouldn't be new in a younger puppy.

If that is just a facebook remark that someone has mentioned, I'd be taking it with a grain of salt and looking for more credible sources to say that something has happened that seems to be spreading. The mode of action is so far from what parvo generally does, I would imagine them considering distemper (which does have a neuro portion to it) or some kind of poisoning more than just parvo. Cluster seizures can cause a huge temperature spike, which can send an animal into DIC, which causes the bleeding, bruising and eventual total system shut down and death.

Too little definitive information to take it 100% seriously, IMHO. Perhaps just be cautious about where your dog goes if you are in that area and wait to see if more reports come up. Generally speaking an outbreak of anything that causes a lot of sickness/death will end up in the news. We had to do a public service announcement one year about parvo because it was just so bad instead of a handful of cases a month, we had easily pushing a dozen a week.
That is comforting information.Thank You! What is your take on giving an extra booster shot? And I've heard that some Vets recommend this till the pup is 7 months of age.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:43 AM   #20 (permalink)

Hm. I still would not believe that it is some strain of new strain of parvo 100% based off of what still is information without positive testing or necropsy done to prove what the cause of death is. Parvo has the general symptoms of anorexia, vomiting, bloody mucoid diarrhea (the 2c strain is supposed to have more orange poo), lethargy and dehydration. They get secondary bacterial infections from the bacteria in the gut moving into the bloodstream, which is what causes the real damage and why its supportive care that helps.

The symptoms that they list would have me thinking distemper more than parvo. People honestly do get them confused at times, but hopefully the vet who is caring for these pups will get some samples into labs to figure out what is going on.

HansGFG, my golden got an extra parvo shot when he was young because he got his first shot at 6 weeks of age and he came with me to work every day. So he was literally in a facility that often had parvo puppies staying in it, and because of my caution with where I brought him, the protocol for vaccines and just how I dealt with my clothing post work, he never got it. Nor have I brought it home either. If you live in an area where parvo is really a huge problem, it shouldn't hurt. The other thing you could do is have them draw blood and run an antibody titer test to be sure your dog has adequate levels for that specific disease. The titer testing can be a little spendy, but if you want to keep vaccines down it wouldn't hurt to try it.
Colie CVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.