German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Ear Allergy Help Needed (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/437593-ear-allergy-help-needed.html)

moonie2 04-13-2014 03:17 PM

Ear Allergy Help Needed

I have a 4 yr. old male GSD who has seasonal allergies that causes itchy ears (inside). Back in Feb. 14 I took him to vet for a Hematoma and it turned out the ear was also infected, impacted, etc. There was no smell or any sign of infection other than his ear was always itchy. Since the surgery for the problems, the vet put him on Prednisone. Initially it was 2 10mg per day. I now give him just one a day. Ears are fine, but he has gained alot of weight and is gets very tired after just a short walk. I want to get him off the prednisone and try something else. I have read about some people using Benedryl, Claritin, vitamin C and so forth. I would like to know what you think works best and what the dosage might be for a 90lb. GSD. He has been on a RAW diet since 6 months old. and I also give him salmon oil daily. He is my baby and I need to get him better without killing him with the prednisone.

Blanketback 04-13-2014 03:32 PM

Have you done any experimenting with possible food intolerances? I know with my pup, the first fall was terrible for him, but when I switched to a kibble with a different protein and starch, the only season allergy symptom he had last fall were hot spots. Not that I liked them, but that was so much better than infected anal glands, eyes and ear! Maybe fooling around with the raw diet might do something for your boy?

Momto2GSDs 04-13-2014 04:58 PM

Good choice for the raw diet! Make sure you change your proteins.
If you decide to do food intolerance testing, IMHO Dr. Jean Dodds Nutri-Scan is the best and has helped several of my friends and others on this blog!
Here are some specifics of the test:
NutriScan
This test measures antibodies to certain foods in dog saliva. High antibody levels indicate that the dog has a food sensitivity and intolerance to that food or foods. Food intolerance or sensitivity is actually quite common whereas food allergy is rare. In fact, food intolerance is the third most common sensitivity condition in dogs and often can be easily remedied with a change in diet.Dr. Jean Dodds, NutriScan tests for the twenty most commonly ingested foods by dogs to provide you with specific results as to your dog's food intolerance's or sensitivities. Since it is a salivary test, you have the convenience to complete the test at home or at your veterinarian’s office. Best of all, you can have the results in approximately two weeks to help you put your dog on the right diet.
Remember, NutriScan is novel and patented and is not testing for food allergies, but rather tests for food sensitivities and intolerance. These are different body immune responses. Food allergy is a more immediate reaction mediated by production of IgE and IgG antibodies. Food sensitivity and intolerance, by contrast, measures a more delayed body response to offending foods by measuring production of IgA and IgM antibodies primarily in mucosal secretions from the bowel.”
NutriScan is split into two test panels, so you can order one or both. I’d order both.
Panel1: Beef, Corn, Wheat, Soy, Cow’s Milk, Lamb, Venison/Deer, Chicken, Turkey, White Fish.
Panel 2: Chicken Eggs, Barley, Millet, Oatmeal, Salmon, Rabbit, Rice, Quinoa, Potatoes, Peanuts/Peanut Butter.
$130 for one panel (10 antigens), $250 for two panels (20 antigens). Vet Allergy test cost about $500 for 20 antigens. Check this page for test differences: http://nutriscan.org/the-nutriscan-d...k-testing.html
Q. How does this test differ from other food “allergy” tests on serum or feces ?
A. Food allergy tests measure antibodies to IgG and IgE in serum or feces. These are typically more acute allergic reactions to foods, whereas NutriScan measures IgA and IgM antibodies on the bowel’s mucosal surface, and thus more directly correlates to symptoms of bowel (GI tract) disease. http://nutriscan.org/the-nutriscan-difference/faqs.html

“NutriScan is a patented novel saliva test for canine food sensitivity and intolerance.” Hemopet Canine Blood Bank, Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory & Greyhound Rescue

“This test measures antibodies to certain foods in dog saliva. High antibody levels indicate that the dog has a food sensitivity and intolerance to that food or foods.”

I think your dog needs to be on a Digestive Enzyme/Pro-Biotic combination at all times to promote a healthy gut. Here are two human grade products:

Sunday Sundae Nutritional Supplement
The Wholistic Pet

Here are some "natural" remedies for you to use on a regular basis:
Ear Washes - which contain anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal properties: Choose one at a time to see which one works for your particular dog.

Brewed/Steeped Green Tea:
Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar (which contains the medicinal “mother tincture”): Mix with equal parts of distilled water, drop 10 drops in the ear and massage. Purchased at a local health food store. Pure ACV can also be added to his food to keep yeast at bay in the gut. If interested, I can give you the amounts to add.

Calendula Ear Drops: Combind 1 cup warm distilled or filtered water, 1 teaspoon of Calendula Tincture & ½ teaspoon Sea Salt. Drop 10 drops into ear and gently massage. Calendula (Marigold) Tincture:

Coconut Oil: USDA Certified Organic, Raw, Cold Pressed, Non GMO, NO Hexane. Wipe out ears. Purchased in a local health food store. This can also be added to your dogs food.

For ear infections: Glacier Peak Xtreme-Biotic: “This herbal blend is the ultimate natural antibiotic. We've combined natural antibiotics Golden Seal & Oregon Grape root, along with Pau D'Arco and Black Walnut. Both known to be blood purifiers and an anti inflammatory. We also add Marshmallow root and Slippery Elm to heal and soothe.” Xtremebiotic(TM) ~Ulitimate Natural Antibiotic Formula ~ 1 oz tincture

You may want to switch from Salmon Oil to Krill oil. Krill Oil is 48 more times effective than fish oil, and contains Astaxanthin which is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. This is an easy to use pump spray product: Krill Oil For Pets - Mercola.com Begin with small doses and work up to suggested amount.

Hope something helps and you can get him off of those steroids!
Moms
:)

onyx'girl 04-13-2014 05:13 PM

Onyx has the same history as your boy(though she is 7)
I have Zymox with hydrocortisone on hand for when her ears flare up. It works great. She also has environmental allergies(dust mites are the biggie) and is raw fed. I had her tested thru Heska Labs
Apoquel is something I'll be looking at after the newness and shortage fades. I don't know if it will help with the ear problems, but worth a shot.

my boy diesel 04-13-2014 10:06 PM

zymox is a miracle drug!

Mcap 04-14-2014 12:38 PM

Our 2 yr old male Long coat has been suffering with allergies since he was a puppy. He been on raw since a puppy and get all the right supplements. We've had him tested for various food/chemical intolerance. We see a holistic vet and have tried various Chinese herbal remedies to no avail. He is a constant paw licker and when the weather changes and humidity increases, he just starts to get that yeasty smell. It is just a persistent issue that we have not been able to resolve yet. I am very well versed on the supplement regimen as I have been involved in the business for the last 15 years.

I might give the new Zoetis, non steroid, a try, but I would like to fix the issue by healing the body.