German Shepherds Forum banner

Anal Gland issue… Is it the Orijen?!

6K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  LuvShepherds 
#1 ·
I just switched my 4 month old pup, Loki from Diamond Naturals LPB to Orijen LBP 10 days ago… within the next few days I started to notice he had that fishy anal gland smell, has been licking his butt, and squeezing liquid out before he eliminates.. (yukk sorry, tmi) Its been more noticeable the last few days… The only other thing thats been different diet wise is i have been giving him carrot for treats… he goes nuts over them! Also stopped giving a small spoonful of greek yogurt per day.

So I was wondering if I should suspect the Orijen? I sure hope not after I spent all that money on a much higher quality food that he loves! :( He seems to be doing very well with it besides the anal gland issue… firms poops (and less of them), no itching, gobbles it up!

And also, should I take him to the vet to expel it or see if it resolves? It doesn't seem to bother him so much at this point.

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

#3 ·
It likely just built up. When he gets older, he'll have the muscle in that area that it will expel naturally for the most part when he defecates, but as puppies they have less muscle mass in that area and sometimes need help expressing it. If he is to the point that he seems uncomfortable, I would definitely get them expressed either by you, a vet, or a groomer. It's a simple process, but if you put it off and let that fluid build up, it can get impacted in the anal gland and cause more serious problems.

#4 ·
Good choice on the food switch!;)

"Glandex"can help solve this issue with natural ingredients and it promotes a healthy digestive tract which is very important for your puppy. Glandex FAQs
"Natural blend of fiber including Pumpkin Seed, Natural Anti-Inflammatories, and a Probiotic Source.
Ingredients: 100% Pure Beef Liver, Pumpkin Seed, Quercetin Dihyrdate, Apple Pectin Cellulose, Bromelain 600 GDU/gram, Lactobacillus acidophilus How does Glandex® work?
Glandex works in multiple ways from the inside out to help keep your pet's anal glands healthy. Glandex's unique fiber blend improves the consistency and regularity of your pet's stools by creating firm and bulky stools which helps your pet to naturally empty their anal glands every time they defecate. Glandex also contains natural anti-inflammatories (the Quercetin & Bromelain helps with itching) to reduce the underlying inflammation and allergies that contribute to anal gland problems and reduces anal gland irritation. Maintaining overall digestive health is a vital part of healthy anal glands and that's why Glandex is formulated with a probiotic to maintain your pet's gastrointestinal health and to boost your pet's immunity."

$20 at Amazon right now: Amazon.com: Glandex - Anal Gland Fiber Supplement for Dogs & Cats (4 oz.): Pet Supplies

If you do choose to purchase this, begin with a small amount and work up to the recommended dosage.

Congrats on the new puppy!
Moms:)

#5 ·
I’ve noticed the exact same thing , I’ve been feeding my Boston orijen for about two months and this is the only time I’ve ever experienced this terrible ordor from her anal glands .. she has had them expressed and a week later the same exact scent is coming from her butt , it is terrible like a metallic fishy odor I’ve only noticed it since the switch to orijen.... it’s concerning... so concerning I went to google to see was anyone else have been experiencing this same issues and what do you know you are . She is being taken off the formula

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.