German Shepherds Forum banner

should we take her to the vet?

938 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  glowingtoadfly 
#1 ·
This mark just appeared on her face and gumline. I noticed it yesterday. It is a little swollen. I wonder if she got into something. She seems fine otherwise, in good spirits and behaving normally.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
We took her to the vet and she was very brave and good. She has had handling issues in the past but she accepted tummy rubs, head pats, and allowed the vet to inspect her face. (Probably because I brought lots of cookies). She has an elizabethan collar to keep her from scratching it and some antibiotics. We hike in the woods a lot so she could have gotten into some thorns out there.

#6 ·
I personally don't go to the vets for minor cuts and scrapes unless it's not healing. I also try to avoid anti-biotics unless it's truly needed. Anti-biotics are overprescribed, just like they are with people, and it's causing drug resistant bugs which is becoming a big problem.

But you have to do what makes you comfortable. I just know that dogs will heal up from most things fine on their own.

#8 ·
I'm glad we took her. Apparently it had gotten infected from her scratching it. We also had been playing tug with her and the vet said we need to wait. We also would've taken her to schutzhund, which the vet said is too hard on her mouth right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.