Weird Flaky Skin Issue - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2014, 04:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Weird Flaky Skin Issue

Hi everybody, not sure if this is in the right place. I searched this topic and read many of the threads already out there but can't help but post this anyway. I'm hoping some of you may have seen this before and can give me some advice. Anyway here are his stats...

Food: Blue Buffalo: natural chicken and brown rice recipe which I am going to ditch as other posts on this topic recommended kangaroo, salmon, venison or Raw. Also, I will try to introduce some omega 3's although I do give him fish oil with every meal.

Issues: hair loss on hear tips, excessive scratching, strange clump of dead skin on back toward the tail.

My poor dog, won't stop scratching. I took him to the vet about a month and a half ago and they gave me a special shampoo and conditioner to try out which seemed to help a little bit. I noticed today that he has this weird clump of dead skin on his lower back, above his tail. See pics. I am going to take him to the vet again but wanted to see your guys input.

Thank you for your time.
Attached Thumbnails
Weird Flaky Skin Issue-momo-skin1.jpg   Weird Flaky Skin Issue-momoskin2.jpg  
ryceretops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The part by the tail looks to me like it could be dry skin and also shedding. I have noticed that area seems to get matted and takes a bit more brushing. Since you are giving fish oil, I would just be sure that you are giving enough for your dog's weight. For dry skin, I have had noticed an improvement by also giving coconut oil - 1 T twice a day and NuPro Silver. Coconut oil can also be applied topically - warm some up in your hands and apply. I also use HomeoPet Skin & Itch drops which seem to reduce the scratching and promotes healing.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How often are you bathing this dog? The buildup of flakes and dead undercoat looks excessive, and more frequent bathing/brushing with the veterinary shampoo should help rid the skin and coat of this excess dead stuff.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2014, 12:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Give him organic virgin coconut oil daily, start with a teaspoon and build up to more. Coconut oil will help repair the skin from the inside out and stop the itching.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2014, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Lara got something like that on her neck once after she swam in this disgusting lake and her collar got all wet. It cleared up after a week or two? I brushed really good there and checked the skin daily, bumped up the coconut oil, gave her a good bath.

edit, added the pic I took last year, looks the same. Did he get into nasty water?
Attached Thumbnails
Weird Flaky Skin Issue-grossstuff.jpg  
Old 04-12-2014, 12:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Raw organic cold pressed organic coconut oil.
1tsp/10lbs of body weight...work up to 3 tblsps. start at 2 tsps. split am/pm for a week and increase weekly.

apply it topically too. antibacterial, kills yeast inside and out.

Increase fish oil. Try a fish oil like Nutra sea - not salmon oil as many contain high mercury levels.

Go with RAW food...zinc in "calves liver" for offal meat, b-vitamins (beef heart b12), B3 is natural antibacterial...raw eggs excellent source of B's...Kibble is so processed and essential nutrients are cooked out. these need to be added back in to meet AAFCO "MINIMUM" guidelines....these re-added nutrients are in synthetic form and not bioavailable

Probiotic and digestive enzyme
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

I believe this is the same thing Traveler had. It is staph infection. Traveler itched constantly, sparse fur on his ears, no or minimal undercoat, stinky but not yeast smell, greasy coat large flakes of dandruff.

The doggie dermatologist took scotch tape and gathered some skin cells. Antibiotics and Apoquel and special shampoo oh, and $380.

Apoquel stopped itching almost immediately but it's out of stock everywhere now. The shampoo was Douxo and I'm not sure it did anything more than any other one. The antibiotic was standard fare. Cant remember the name of it.

I dont' think it's necessary to go to a doggie derma for it. Your vet should be able to look under the microscope and recognize it. Might save some money to.

Oh, the staph is very hard to get rid of as I understand it so I'm keeping fingers crossed it does't come back.
Traveler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Oh yes, forgot to mention. He had those dry clumps to. I'd wash them off and they'd be back. Maybe same place, maybe another place.
Traveler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry and Lola View Post
Give him organic virgin coconut oil daily, start with a teaspoon and build up to more. Coconut oil will help repair the skin from the inside out and stop the itching.

Ok, Thanks for the reply and info! I found this viva labs
virgin coconut oil virgin coconut oil
, do you have any recommendations?
Old 04-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
How often are you bathing this dog? The buildup of flakes and dead undercoat looks excessive, and more frequent bathing/brushing with the veterinary shampoo should help rid the skin and coat of this excess dead stuff.
I bathe him once a month, should I increase that to once every two weeks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.