German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Please Help 7 week old puppy w/ weak hind legs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/436473-please-help-7-week-old-puppy-w-weak-hind-legs.html)

samsonpuckett_gsd 04-10-2014 09:40 PM

Please Help 7 week old puppy w/ weak hind legs
 
Our new puppy Samson Ebert Puckett is having some issues with his hind legs.

Please see video on link below and advise your thoughts.

So far, we have taken him to the vet, she advised some pain in his hips when extending his legs.

We are taking him to 2 Hands, 4 Paws in LA for a 2nd opinion on Monday, but wanted to reach out to the knowledgeable forum for your advice.

Samson has a bad front right paw from an injury last week that seems to keep getting hurt. Hurt himself nipping at my neighbors dog's feet yesterday. She came down on him, mostly on his bad paw. I think the fall might be what is hurting the little guy.

Am I freaking out, or should I get him X-rayed???

Please keep in mind last night and this morning he was hardly able to walk.

Energy still seems kind of low also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQZ...ature=youtu.be

Thank you for all your help in Advance.

BowWowMeow 04-10-2014 09:57 PM

His back legs certainly don't look good but I don't see a problem with his front legs. What happened to his tail--it has no hair!

How old was he when you got him and where did you get him from? Has he been to the vet yet?

samsonpuckett_gsd 04-10-2014 11:11 PM

In order….

His tail had some spots on the skin. The day I got him I took him DIRECTLY to the vet. They gave me some anti's to give to him and the spots have gone away and his hair is growing back.

He turns 8 weeks old on Saturday, I have had him for exactly two weeks today.

I bought him from an a guy I found on the web… If I never talk to him again, I'll be very happy.

I am almost positive my dog has been away from his mom for a long time.. The vet thinks the spots on his tail from sitting in his own waste. (previous owner mind you!!!)

We are just trying to show him love and give him a nice home.

Kp

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowWowMeow (Post 5357793)
His back legs certainly don't look good but I don't see a problem with his front legs. What happened to his tail--it has no hair!

How old was he when you got him and where did you get him from? Has he been to the vet yet?


my boy diesel 04-10-2014 11:20 PM

if he was kept in a tiny enclosure without any stimulation and not let run around on grass or in a larger place perhaps his muscles are weak due to that
probably fed junk food
get him on a high quality food without corn or wheat or soy
and he ought to blossom
pray it is all poor nutrition and neglect!

Wild Wolf 04-10-2014 11:27 PM

Seems like he needs some major TLC... hard to say without knowing his history, and your veterinarian is your best bet at finding out what it wrong with him... but I definitely think proper, GOOD nutrition is in order and allow him room to play with his toys, walk around, stretch out while he sleeps, etc... normal puppy things.

From the video, it looks like he has a stiff back end and no muscle mass on his back legs.

What are you feeding him right now?

samsonpuckett_gsd 04-10-2014 11:46 PM

Wild Wolf,

I have him on RAW. Steak and Chicken mostly. Raw egg mixed in the AM. Going to introduce ground turkey over the weekend.

He is getting major TLC. Between my son, his mom (who comes to visit) and my neighbor and I are all doing our part.

To your point, his back legs are smaller than his front. (muscle wise)

He has room to play and once we are home will post up in living room.

It seems to get pretty bad when he wakes up from naps.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Kp

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Wolf (Post 5358313)
Seems like he needs some major TLC... hard to say without knowing his history, and your veterinarian is your best bet at finding out what it wrong with him... but I definitely think proper, GOOD nutrition is in order and allow him room to play with his toys, walk around, stretch out while he sleeps, etc... normal puppy things.

From the video, it looks like he has a stiff back end and no muscle mass on his back legs.

What are you feeding him right now?


samsonpuckett_gsd 04-10-2014 11:51 PM

Diesel,

I am pretty sure he and his brother were kept in an apartment. Pretty sure they were not given much room to run around.

The broker (I don't think I should call him a breeder) tried to give me the kibble he was feeding him, but I told him not to bother.

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to reply.

Kp

Quote:

Originally Posted by my boy diesel (Post 5358281)
if he was kept in a tiny enclosure without any stimulation and not let run around on grass or in a larger place perhaps his muscles are weak due to that
probably fed junk food
get him on a high quality food without corn or wheat or soy
and he ought to blossom
pray it is all poor nutrition and neglect!


Wild Wolf 04-11-2014 12:00 AM

You guys are doing things right, his previous situation was obviously one of neglect (unless he has some disease or illness the vet hasn't identified)... with some intensive care at home you should see some improvement fairly quickly... please keep us posted, I'd like to hear how he does in a few weeks from now.

Are you feeding a balanced raw diet of muscle meat, smaller softer bones and organ meat? Correct ratios? Just review this website to make sure you have your ratios correct:

What to Feed

jocoyn 04-11-2014 12:05 AM

Do check. It is very important to get the right balance of soft bone and meat. If not, better to feed a good quality food for puppies.

It sounds like you are going everything you can to give him a good start.

samsonpuckett_gsd 04-11-2014 12:11 AM

Wild Wolf,

Def feeding him a balanced diet. Thank you again for your help. I'll keep you posted.

Kp

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Wolf (Post 5358697)
You guys are doing things right, his previous situation was obviously one of neglect (unless he has some disease or illness the vet hasn't identified)... with some intensive care at home you should see some improvement fairly quickly... please keep us posted, I'd like to hear how he does in a few weeks from now.

Are you feeding a balanced raw diet of muscle meat, smaller softer bones and organ meat? Correct ratios? Just review this website to make sure you have your ratios correct:

What to Feed



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2