German Shepherds Forum banner

Oral flea control... Trifexis??

13K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  TAR HEEL MOM 
#1 ·
So, last week, my vet convinced me to buy Trifexis for heartworm and flea control... It would be very nice if for flea control because Im living in Houston for the next few months and I take my dog is always picking up fleas!

However, I am a little disturbed about a pesticide staying in his blood for a whole month!! Is there any kind of research that shows that this does not affect the health of the dog?
Also, I read so many horror stories of dogs having seizures or dying from it. My vet convinced me that it is totally fine and dogs very rarely have these kinds of issues. But im still a little scared to give it to my pup!

So if anyone on here has had positive/negative experience giving their dog trifexis/comfortis, i'd love to hear about it, and I'd also be interested in hearing opinions on dogs having pesticides in their blood for month should be concerning in regards to the dogs overall health.

Thanks so much in advance!!

#5 ·
#4 ·
I've used it since my pup was small and haven't had a problem with it. No sickness, no lethargy, no dry skin. I have heard of more natural ways to treat for fleas such as diatomaceous earth, but I have not used it myself and cannot speak to its effectiveness. While the Trifexis is a pesticide, I would rather expose my dog to a pesticide that has a minimal chance of affecting his health than go without or with something less effective and raise his risk of dealing with the pain of heartworm. At least, that's my view on it.

And it can always also depend on the dog. Just as you'll probably hear about dogs getting sick on Trifexis but doing fine with a spot-on, I'm sure you'll hear about dogs getting sick off the spot-ons but doing great on a pill like Trifexis. With any new medication, my biggest piece of advice is to monitor your dog closely the first couple times you use it to make sure it's right for your dog.

#8 ·
I'm trying Nexgard for a couple months. I also use the Scalibor flea collar. I have a homemade spray for in between and I also put DE on them and in their food. I don't like fleas and I hate ticks.

#11 ·
Interesting... I had not heard of Nexguard. It sounds like it could be a safer alternative, which would be worth the extra $$$. Do your dogs have any reaction to it? What kind of homemade spray do you use? Im looking to find a flea repellent recipe to spray on my dog when I take him out on walks. So far I have found only one flea at a time on him on three different occasions... but now that he had his last set of vaccinations, I'll be taking him to places more frequented by dogs... and probably fleas lol

#9 ·
The first time I used it, Tosca vomited. I was warned by the vet that was a possibility and that the 2nd time she took it, she would be fine. That was all true and had no side effects since taking it.

Now recently a fellow member here told me that her dog had allergies and this drug had complicated it even more. I wondered if this was a possibility in my case because last year Tosca's allergies were the worst ever experienced. I originally attributed it to rain and mold but now I am not so sure. I am giving her herbal supplements and digestive enzymes and no Trifexis. So far, mild scratching and little paw licking. This year I am going to skip the Trifexis and see how it goes. Usually we have staph infections by this time of year and thus far nothing warranting a trip to the vet. Knock on wood. I will know as time goes by if Trifexis had anything to do with her past skin problems.

#14 ·
I have used trifexis on my 4 year old lab and my 2 year old GSD all their lives with no side effects. However...having said that....I think I am getting ready to switch to Nexguard because of the tick protection that Trifexis doesn't have. Ticks have been really bad here already this year. I guess I will use HG plus with the Nexguard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.