Bloat Prevention? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2014, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bloat Prevention?

I saw a story about a dog with bloat and read that it can be common in certain breeds of dogs more than others. I read up on it, and now that I have worried myself crazy about my dog ever getting it, I was just wondering if anyone knew more about things to do to try and prevent it? I have read a few things like not letting your pup drink lots of water right after eating, no rigorous activity right after eating, etc. Is there anything like feeding wet vs dry food that would help the air intake be less? I know I probably sounds crazy but I'd rather be over cautious when it comes to something like that , any advice would be much appreciated!

Last edited by Sslitovkin; 04-09-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Sslitovkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sslitovkin View Post
I saw a story about a dog with bloat and read that it can be common in certain breeds of dogs more than others. I read up on it, and now that I have worried myself crazy about my dog ever getting it, I was just wondering if anyone knew more about things to do to try and prevent it? I have read a few things like not letting your pup drink lots of water right after eating, no rigorous activity right after eating, etc. I know I probably sounds crazy but I'd rather be over cautious when it comes to something like that , any advice would be much appreciated!
Feeding your dog smaller meals 2-3 times a day rather than one large meal a day, moistening dry food in water, letting it absorb the water before feeding, feeding with elevated food bowls. The big one you know already, don't allow vigorous activity for at least an hour after feeding.
Susan_GSD_mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 11:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

I read about gastropexy and was wondering if you all would recommend it? And what age is good to get the surgery done at? She is 9 months and already spayed.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 04-09-2014, 11:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

There's a surgical procedure, gastropexy (surgical attachment of stomach to the body wall), which while it doesn't prevent bloat, it does prevent torsion which is what is what is most often fatal.
RubyTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 11:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

How does her family history look? How is her temperament? It appears that one of the biggest risk factors, apart from age & family history, is a dog that's anxious & easily stressed.

I have a friend who's had ~20 IWs through the years, Her dogs gets the gastropexy only if they otherwise have major surgery, hence only 1 or 2 have had it. Her 1st IW died of GDV when he was almost 10. Another bloated 2-3 times, but never twisted (he'd never had the gastropexy). He was an anxious & easily stressed guy. None of her others have had any trouble but only one stresses easily (& I'm not sure she hasn't bloated, but she's never twisted & hasn't had a gastropexy).
RubyTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 11:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
How does her family history look? How is her temperament? It appears that one of the biggest risk factors, apart from age & family history, is a dog that's anxious & easily stressed.

I have a friend who's had ~20 IWs through the years, Her dogs gets the gastropexy only if they otherwise have major surgery, hence only 1 or 2 have had it. Her 1st IW died of GDV when he was almost 10. Another bloated 2-3 times, but never twisted (he'd never had the gastropexy). He was an anxious & easily stressed guy. None of her others have had any trouble but only one stresses easily (& I'm not sure she hasn't bloated, but she's never twisted & hasn't had a gastropexy).
Not sure about the family history, she is my first GsD (living on my own, had grown up with several) I probably will email the breeder and find out though. I would say she has a medium temperment, doesn't seem to get stressed or anxious much. She has had a broken leg in the past and will need to go in for one last surgery on it in about 6 months. I am wondering if it would be a good time to do it then, since she'll be under anesthesia and the leg surgery should only take about 30 minutes, although I don't want her under for too long. Just learning about GdV thought freaks me out enough it might be worth the peace of mind.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

There is a lot of controversy regarding preventive measures. The only consistent ones are no excersise for 1-2 hours before and after feeding, and smaller frequent meals, and slowing a dog down when eating.

Purdue did a study years back, that showed no correlation between raised food bowls and bloat. But had weird recommendations regarding wetting the food. I think they said not to. When I get back to my PC, I will try to find it.

I have one dog that is pexied. We fight a constant battle with bloat. No family history. I recommend getting it done when they are spayed. Don't know that I would do it on it's own again.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Is bloat the only thing that causes GDV? And is a gastroplexy pretty much guaranteed to prevent it?
Old 04-10-2014, 12:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I think the only thing the gastroplexy helps with is stomach torsion, not bloat.

*-*Summer*-*
SummerGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 12:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yep, sorry should have written it different. It seems that torsion is what is life threatening, so if the gastropexy would prevent that then it might be worth it.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.