Noticeable pain when eating? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Noticeable pain when eating?

Hey all, I am literally on the verge of breaking down with all the issues I'm having with my boy. He has been to the vet more times on the last 2 months than my friends dog has in the last 6 years.

Two weeks ago he went because he had a possible ear infection (came home undiagnosed). Last week he was there because of conjunctivitis in his right eye. That's just in the last two weeks.

Yesterday I came home and tried to give him a treat. He whimpered when he tilted his head up and opened his mouth. The fact that he was in pain was very noticeable. I am calling the vet this morning to get him in, but are there an thoughts on what it could be? I know there may be a multitude of things but I am just trying to get a general idea (ie pinched nerve, neck issue, back issue, jaw issue).

By the way, he's only 11 MONTHS OLD. Hopefully he just tweaked something and it's nothing too serious.

Sent from Petguide.com App
Mwelsh03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well that sucks. Poor pup, and poor worried you! I can't tell you what's going on, obviously, lol - but I'll say that both my pup and I have seasonal allergies and we both are noticing the change here. My eyes were very itchy and swollen, and his 3rd eyelid was showing yesterday. In past seasons, he got hit the worst with allergies: his ear infection was the first symptom, before the eye infection. But he also had a food intolerance...OMG, are you overwhelmed yet, lol? Don't panic! Maybe the pain you saw was related to the ear trouble? I hope you vet can find the cause and put you at ease
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Just informational only, not to scare you...

Masticatory muscle myositis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Locked jaw syndrome in dogs and cats: 37 cases (1... [J Vet Dent. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

Why was the ear not diagnosed? Was a culture done or were you just waved a magic prescription for antibiotics? ear wash?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Gator, thanks for the info! The first link you posted honestly seems exactly like what he is going through. I will reference that to the vet when I take him so thanks for that!

As for the undiagnosed ear, the ear was flushed and we were sent home with cleaner. They did a swab and didn't notice any bacteria deep down in the ear. Based on the first link, if that's indeed what's going on, I don't think he ever actually had an ear issue.

It just sucks I am going through all of this with my puppy. He's my first German shepherd and the best dog I know. Seeing him in pain just kills me on the inside.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwelsh03 View Post
Gator, thanks for the info! The first link you posted honestly seems exactly like what he is going through. I will reference that to the vet when I take him so thanks for that!

It just sucks I am going through all of this with my puppy. He's my first German shepherd and the best dog I know. Seeing him in pain just kills me on the inside.

Remember it was just informational...Probably related to a deeper infection in the ear, or pinched nerve like you mentioned (for that I would say Chiropractor).

You mentioned you have been to the vet more times in past two months then your friends dog in 6 yrs.

Your pup is 11 months old so I am assuming vaccines were given shortly before this revolving door to the clinic? What else has been going on and/or scripted during your pups short time thus far?...illness had to start somewhere, and something or some treatment may have exacerbated it.

Have you considered going to a holistic vet?
What are you feeding?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Old 04-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Honestly I think it all began when we started taking him to doggy daycare. Just off the top of my head we have been to the vet for the following:

-kennel cough twice
-pano
-ear issues
-Conjunctivitis in the eye
-puppy shots three times

That's a total of 8 visits since I got him July 2013.

As for the food we feed him, I have switched brands many times due to him being a picky eater. We only feed him the best kibble (origin, blue buffalo wilderness, Fromm, etc) we are currently feeding him canidae natural elements.

I am not aware of any holistic vets in the area. I could do some searching and look into it though.

My only worry is I'm getting married next week and I'm going to have to board him for a week. I want him to get better prior to me leaving so I don't have to worry about him while I'm on the honeymoon. Hopefully I can get to the vet today and see what he says.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

I am cutting back on doggy daycare because I think it's doing more harm than good to him. Although it's excellent for getting all of his energy out, it's now getting warm enough where I can play with him for a couple hours outside instead of exposing him to all the health issues at those places.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

All of a sudden he's acting normal again. I still have a vet appointment for tomorrow. I'll see how's he doing in the morning before i cancel.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well that's good news!

Hopefully was just a little blip in life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.