German Shepherds Forum banner

WHat age can GSD jump down from suv?

7K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  K9POPPY 
#1 ·
I have heard many opinions from non GSD dog owners and would like to hear your opinions.
Elsa is 13 months old and we have never allowed her to jump down from the back of our suv, we allow her to jump up into it though.
She weighs 75 pounds and if I need to lift her down until she is two, to protect her joints, I will.
Should I even be allowing her to jump up into it?
Thanks

#7 ·
I usually have a harness on the dog anyways, so I help them down.

I always let them jump up into the truck as soon as they can manage.

Many LE agencies consider the height of the cruiser used when selecting what vehicles to purchase for K9 units. Some are going to minivans for the lower platform from which the dog will operate from. When a dog is constantly getting into and out of a vehicle, the stress on their front legs and shoulders can put a lot of wear and tear on a dog.

I personally will allow and encourage a dog to jump up onto anything, but when coming down I train them to wait for assistance when possible. Jumping over something in full stride is very different than coming straight down onto their front legs, so obedience or agility jumps are different than dismounting a vehicle or coming down off a low roof.

Many patrol dogs, mine included, reach an early retirement because what we ask of them is hard on their bodies. If the dog doesn't have to pound on it's body to get the job done, I would suggest avoiding it.

#8 ·
I have an SUV, I teach all my dogs to put their front feet "up", and go from there..This helps when they get older as well, and they maybe can't jump up into my vehicle,,then I give them a boost.

I also make mine WAIT, when I open that back door, hold them by the collar or harness whatever I have on them and guide them down without them having to "pound" on their front.

If you've ever done agility, A frames are the worst, for a dog to take a beating on their front end..

It IS about common sense, ever see a dog come flying out of the back of an suv and do a "face plant"? hit ice maybe, and screw up their front/shoulder??

What's the big deal with trying to keep them from injuring themselves?

#10 · (Edited)
I make my dog wait on the tailgate and I either help lower or make him use a ramp as often as possible. Dog is a working dog and he goes through rough terrain and is not babied. I just hold my breath when he is working off a boat hanging over the front knowing there is an engine at the back. BUT. I have seen too many seniors with arthritic shoulders (including one of mine) that I said "enough"

I often wonder if shoulder inflammation from repeated jumping is why Grim's hemangiosarcoma of the muscle presented around a shoulder blade

I have always let mine jump in but I make him wait to do so. I know a dog who broke his back and had to be PTS because when he jumped in the back he hit his chest and fell...............It was very tragic; it was after he found a missing person on a search.

When they get older they sometimes don't clear the jump. It is a sad thing but I have seen this happen frequently to older dogs. Mind is willing, the body isn't.

#11 ·
Sabo is so heavy and doesn't understand how to get a running start, he has almost fallen a few times, so I lift him in and help him jump out. If there is enough room to let him "run" out I do.

Kia is a lightweight (I'm thinking 60lbs if she's soaking wet and muddy) and is allowed to get a running start to get in and understands that she has to "run" when she gets out so she can do it all herself.

#13 ·
We make Elsa sit and wait until we are ready for her to jump into or for me to lift her down, I have concerns about the impact of jumping down may have on her. We have started her doing jumps in the back yard this weekend over low obstacles just give her something new to do. That type of jumping is with her at a full gait and is low impact.
I will wait until she turns 2 before jumping down from the Cherokee and hope that she tops out at around 85#:eek: or she will need to start helping me into vehicles.
The ramp is an interesting idea but might take up a lot of room in the suv.

#14 ·
A teammate who has a lab uses some folding steps that don't take up much room at all.

I have also seen people use this and they LOVE it.

TWISTEP HITCH STEP FOR SUV'S

I would love one for my truck but the tailgate.....but at least I have room to stow a ramp.

#15 ·
The steps are good. The ramp we use folds up, is light, made of strong reinforced plastic, doesn't take up much room, and is VERY useful as the GSD's get older, mine are getting in/out of a Nissan Xterra- we use it for all type of dogs at the kennel- BIG/small- Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.