WHat age can GSD jump down from suv? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default WHat age can GSD jump down from suv?

I have heard many opinions from non GSD dog owners and would like to hear your opinions.
Elsa is 13 months old and we have never allowed her to jump down from the back of our suv, we allow her to jump up into it though.
She weighs 75 pounds and if I need to lift her down until she is two, to protect her joints, I will.
Should I even be allowing her to jump up into it?
Thanks
Bootskillet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

That's a tough one,Our Vet who is really Good lets her Labs jump from the back of her SUV,Myself I would avoid it.
So opinions will vary I am sure here.
Ygor2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Jumping onto any hard surface is really jarring for any age GSD, especially young ones. I use a foldable plastic ramp wherever possible for all dogs. I just call it insurance for the future- Bob
K9POPPY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Do you think police/military carry their dogs out of cars until 2? Do schutzhund people not practice jumps until 2?

I think people spend too much time reading stuff on the Internet and not enough time applying common sense....
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 02:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
Do you think police/military carry their dogs out of cars until 2? Do schutzhund people not practice jumps until 2?

I think people spend too much time reading stuff on the Internet and not enough time applying common sense....
This
Old 04-06-2014, 02:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

I started about 6 months. Personally never had any problems.
Mala is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 03:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

I usually have a harness on the dog anyways, so I help them down.

I always let them jump up into the truck as soon as they can manage.

Many LE agencies consider the height of the cruiser used when selecting what vehicles to purchase for K9 units. Some are going to minivans for the lower platform from which the dog will operate from. When a dog is constantly getting into and out of a vehicle, the stress on their front legs and shoulders can put a lot of wear and tear on a dog.

I personally will allow and encourage a dog to jump up onto anything, but when coming down I train them to wait for assistance when possible. Jumping over something in full stride is very different than coming straight down onto their front legs, so obedience or agility jumps are different than dismounting a vehicle or coming down off a low roof.

Many patrol dogs, mine included, reach an early retirement because what we ask of them is hard on their bodies. If the dog doesn't have to pound on it's body to get the job done, I would suggest avoiding it.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have an SUV, I teach all my dogs to put their front feet "up", and go from there..This helps when they get older as well, and they maybe can't jump up into my vehicle,,then I give them a boost.

I also make mine WAIT, when I open that back door, hold them by the collar or harness whatever I have on them and guide them down without them having to "pound" on their front.

If you've ever done agility, A frames are the worst, for a dog to take a beating on their front end..

It IS about common sense, ever see a dog come flying out of the back of an suv and do a "face plant"? hit ice maybe, and screw up their front/shoulder??

What's the big deal with trying to keep them from injuring themselves?

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Jake was able to get in and out by himself from 4 months on.

fredh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I make my dog wait on the tailgate and I either help lower or make him use a ramp as often as possible. Dog is a working dog and he goes through rough terrain and is not babied. I just hold my breath when he is working off a boat hanging over the front knowing there is an engine at the back. BUT. I have seen too many seniors with arthritic shoulders (including one of mine) that I said "enough"

I often wonder if shoulder inflammation from repeated jumping is why Grim's hemangiosarcoma of the muscle presented around a shoulder blade

I have always let mine jump in but I make him wait to do so. I know a dog who broke his back and had to be PTS because when he jumped in the back he hit his chest and fell...............It was very tragic; it was after he found a missing person on a search.

When they get older they sometimes don't clear the jump. It is a sad thing but I have seen this happen frequently to older dogs. Mind is willing, the body isn't.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 04-06-2014 at 10:17 AM.
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.