German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACL Surgery one month ago

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Fodder 
#1 ·
Our seven year old had ACL surgery a month ago and he still doesn't want to put weight on that side or when he does he kind of limps on it... I have noticed that when I take him out to go to the restroom he walks on it then and it doesn't seem to bother him,, it's just when he is inside .. Is it to soon for him to be walking on it like normal or should I be concerned about it??

#3 ·
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT MANY, MANY TIMES. Give it time, may take up to 6 weeks or more for the dog for full recovery- but it's always worth it- IMHO, BOB:):):)
Thanks for your reply,, I guess I am worrying to much ,, I feel bad for him, last year he had 2 surgeries for luxating patella and now acl .. He hasn't had much of a life with the long recovery times and restrictions.. i'm hoping he can get past this and not have any more problems...

#4 ·
I'm gonna guess the recovery rate will depend on the dog and maybe which type of surgery was used. We decided to go with the TPLO and Ranger started using his leg right away. He limped of course, but gradually the limp has disappeared. We did surgery mid December and we are still keeping him leash restricted, though he seems healthy enough to run now. The odds of blowing out the other side are high unless you ease them back to full use of both legs. As long as the surgery went well, I'd take your time. Are you doing physical therapy with him?

#10 ·
Our dog was 3 when she had a tplo, the end of March 2013. She did not bear full weight until mid of July 2013. She would toe tap on her surgical side. The ortho vet felt it should have been sooner, the end of June - so 3 months after surgery, you are only one month out. Keep your dog off the stairs and on controlled walks and you'll be OK.

Our dog was doing well in healing up until middle of December when she re-injured her surgical knee. Lots of exercise restriction but no surgery needed. Even though some minor inflammation in the knee, she is still bearing weight equally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.