German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Need help please (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/433017-need-help-please.html)

Ellimaybel 04-03-2014 05:09 AM

Need help please

Gunther repeatedly injures his left paw right above the dew claw. I don't know exactly how other then it seems as though he twists it often. He is always offering me that paw, even when I'm not asking for a shake. It never seems to be a serious injury, a lot of crying but that's usually it. Tonight it happened again when he twisted it and I couldn't calm him. I wound up wrapping his leg in the heating pad but he is still favoring it. I'm just wondering if this is a clumsiness thing or if it is potentially more serious to where I should take him to the vet as a potential tendon or joint weakness. Is this related to the dew claw? My husband says his dew claw gets stuck in things often. Is having that removed an option at 9 months old? I wouldn't want to cause him any pain and I think that would be extremely painful. Please give me any opinions, advice, or wisdom you may have. I don't know if my heart can keep hearing his cries.

huntergreen 04-03-2014 06:45 AM

first thing to do is have a vet take a look.

Nigel 04-03-2014 07:25 AM

Have the vet look at it. If rest won't take care of it, time to have an xray/exam done.

Jelpy 04-03-2014 08:25 AM

Ya know, when I sprined my ankle it took forever to heal....I don't mean weeks, I mean months. If he sprained it, it not only has to heal but the muscles and ligiments have to be strengthened to prevent it from happening again. My first guess is that it isn't completely healing and he's re-injuring it before it's strong enough to hold the weight of exercise etc.
In short...take him to the vet. :)

Jelpy

pyratemom 04-03-2014 09:35 AM

I would agree a vet visit is in order. Maybe the vet will just tell you to wrap it much like we would wrap a twisted ankle for support while it heals. But it could be something more important to know about. The vet will be able to tell and quell your fears.

Ellimaybel 04-03-2014 01:46 PM

Thanks guys. I think the big guy is just too active for his own good! Definitely taking him to the vet just to make sure he doesn't have a weak ligament.

Lilie 04-03-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellimaybel (Post 5315641)
Gunther repeatedly injures his left paw right above the dew claw.

How do you know it's right above the dew claw? Can you see the physical injury? Is he repeatedly tearing the skin above the dew claw? Does he have a raw spot?

Or are you meaning he keeps 'spraining' his leg and you think it's right above the dew claw?

Ellimaybel 04-04-2014 11:33 PM

Thank you all for the advice. I woke up this morning at 6 am after 4 hours of sleep to Gunther crying worse then he has so I called the vet repeatedly until I got someone, took him as soon as I could which was about 8:20 am and feel better yet worse at the same time. Turns out it's growing pains. His left leg bone is inflamed so he has started anti-inflammatory pills and I am cutting his protein packed puppy chow with adult food to slow his growth as the vet said to do. First dog I have ever seen take the pill from my hand and eat it of his own free will. Blew my mind, I knew it would be easy but I didn't think it would be that easy! In my sleep deprived, frantic, confused state this morning I just forgot to ask one important question. Does anyone know how long until the pills work and he is no longer in pain? I'm sure they told me but my brain didn't register the information. I feel bad because I didn't know (nor did my husband) that for the past weeks every time he came up to us he offered us his left paw because it was hurting. We both just thought he was obsessed with shaking our hand.

Kahrg4 04-05-2014 12:53 AM

Cafall had something similar at about 10 months. Never had any issues while he ate only adult dog kibble. He's a year and a half old now and doing great. Well wishes for a fast recovery for Gunther.

Ellimaybel 04-05-2014 01:06 AM

Thank you :) Not to sound like a complete nut case worry wart, but I can't stand seeing him in pain. Is there any way I can help relieve the pain? Cold compress? I already have the other dog crated (poor guy) to help keep Gunther calm.