Spay dilema - now or later? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2014, 12:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
kjdreyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 308
Default Spay dilema - now or later?

Jedda started her first heat on her first birthday, Nov 14, 2013. I had her spay/gastropexy scheduled for this Friday, 4/4. A month ago I started upping raw food, and cutting out kibble. She started shedding heavily about 3 weeks ago, but in the last two weeks, she's losing not just her undercoat, but patches of guard hairs as well. Her coat looks dull and rough - not her norm! I doubted it was due to switch to raw, as no ingredients were new, her diet is balanced, and appetite and poos are better than normal. But nothing else has been changed.

I took her in to my vet to see if he thought I should wait on the surgery, and he thought although her coat looked poor, she was clearly healthy on all other fronts, and left it up to me. I decided to change the date to April 18, as I really hope to avoid another heat, and we're getting close.

OK, sorry that was a lot of words! But here's my question: if this blow coat is due to an imminent heat, am I too close to her heat to proceed with the spay? If a heat can frequently occur 4-6 weeks after a major coat change/shed, that would put me 2-4 weeks from a heat cycle.

I've spoken to her breeder, who recommends waiting till this probable upcoming heat has passed. I will speak again to my vet tomorrow, and I will more than likely wait it out, as I trust my breeder's advice. I'm just wondering if anybody has had a similar experience.

Thanks!
kjdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Anubis_Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,654
Default

I like to wait until dogs are at least 18 months old to spay/neuter, to attempt to avoid spaying too young and potentially risking health problems. This would put her spay in early May, at the earliest. So I personally would recommend waiting.
__________________
~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Freestep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,117
Default

It's normal for bitches to shed heavily a few weeks before heat. If you want her spayed before her first heat, keep the appointment for tomorrow. If you want to wait, wait until her first heat is finished, about a month or so after first onset of bleeding. It's really best to spay while the bitch is not in heat, but if she's not swollen or bleeding right now, you are probably okay doing it tomorrow.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
SuperG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis_Star View Post
I like to wait until dogs are at least 18 months old to spay/neuter, to attempt to avoid spaying too young and potentially risking health problems. This would put her spay in early May, at the earliest. So I personally would recommend waiting.

This is the wisdom which I have garnered from others in the know...such as Anubis_Star. Now that my bitch is 18 months, it has been suggested to wait even longer yet....I have no real intentions of breeding my bitch....strictly doing this for health and development reasons.

As far as kjdreyer's question....I have only read that a spay during heat can and has been done but it is not something which sounds optimum.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
kjdreyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 308
Default

Thanks for all the replies. I think most of all this back and forth is me wishing there was a way to have surgery with zero risk!
kjdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:28 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum