German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Spay dilema - now or later? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/432945-spay-dilema-now-later.html)

kjdreyer 04-02-2014 11:00 PM

Spay dilema - now or later?
 
Jedda started her first heat on her first birthday, Nov 14, 2013. I had her spay/gastropexy scheduled for this Friday, 4/4. A month ago I started upping raw food, and cutting out kibble. She started shedding heavily about 3 weeks ago, but in the last two weeks, she's losing not just her undercoat, but patches of guard hairs as well. Her coat looks dull and rough - not her norm! I doubted it was due to switch to raw, as no ingredients were new, her diet is balanced, and appetite and poos are better than normal. But nothing else has been changed.

I took her in to my vet to see if he thought I should wait on the surgery, and he thought although her coat looked poor, she was clearly healthy on all other fronts, and left it up to me. I decided to change the date to April 18, as I really hope to avoid another heat, and we're getting close.

OK, sorry that was a lot of words! But here's my question: if this blow coat is due to an imminent heat, am I too close to her heat to proceed with the spay? If a heat can frequently occur 4-6 weeks after a major coat change/shed, that would put me 2-4 weeks from a heat cycle.

I've spoken to her breeder, who recommends waiting till this probable upcoming heat has passed. I will speak again to my vet tomorrow, and I will more than likely wait it out, as I trust my breeder's advice. I'm just wondering if anybody has had a similar experience.

Thanks!

Anubis_Star 04-03-2014 12:18 PM

I like to wait until dogs are at least 18 months old to spay/neuter, to attempt to avoid spaying too young and potentially risking health problems. This would put her spay in early May, at the earliest. So I personally would recommend waiting.

Freestep 04-03-2014 03:39 PM

It's normal for bitches to shed heavily a few weeks before heat. If you want her spayed before her first heat, keep the appointment for tomorrow. If you want to wait, wait until her first heat is finished, about a month or so after first onset of bleeding. It's really best to spay while the bitch is not in heat, but if she's not swollen or bleeding right now, you are probably okay doing it tomorrow.

SuperG 04-03-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubis_Star (Post 5317449)
I like to wait until dogs are at least 18 months old to spay/neuter, to attempt to avoid spaying too young and potentially risking health problems. This would put her spay in early May, at the earliest. So I personally would recommend waiting.


This is the wisdom which I have garnered from others in the know...such as Anubis_Star. Now that my bitch is 18 months, it has been suggested to wait even longer yet....I have no real intentions of breeding my bitch....strictly doing this for health and development reasons.

As far as kjdreyer's question....I have only read that a spay during heat can and has been done but it is not something which sounds optimum.

SuperG

kjdreyer 04-03-2014 09:04 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I think most of all this back and forth is me wishing there was a way to have surgery with zero risk! :rolleyes:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2