Rough Weekend. Possible hemangiosarcoma
This weekend I was out of town for my niece's bridal shower.
My husband called me at 11am on Saturday to let me know that our 10 year old GSD, Sascha, wouldn't get up, was panting hard, and had pale gums/tongue.
He got her to her vet immediately, and they had him take her to the ER. I was able to cut my trip short and get home that night. I got the only flight out and had to endure a 2 hour delay which was torture.
Turns out her spleen had some tumors that began to bleed. Vet said we could do emergency surgery and there is a 20% chance she might not have the malignant type of cancer.
Since she'd been in PERFECT (and I mean perfect) health, we were completely stunned.
We opted for surgery, and she's doing so much better now. They did find some suspicious nodules on her liver, but the vet said she'd never seen a node like that in the 1000 of these surgeries she's performed.
We are waiting for the pathology to come back (2 more days...) and my heart is so heavy.
I watch her like a hawk, I am so nervous she is going to collapse.
She is our first baby, and has helped my husband and I raise our two kids.
I'm dreading going out of town. I have my nieces wedding in April & another trip in May. Both are short & close to home, (2 hour flights) but I am TERRIFIED to leave her side. I have no idea how long we will have with her.
This cancer is stupid. I'd like to kick it's you know what.
My kids are devastated. They are young (6 & 9) but this is their girl. They play with her. The dog comes with me to the bus stop.
I know there's not a lot we can do. I'm just looking for support, and if there is any advice out there, I would love to hear it.
My heart goes out to anyone who has lost their dog to this sudden, aggressive, and devastating illness.