German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Grapes ?!?!?!? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/432289-grapes.html)

Oisin's Aoire 04-01-2014 12:07 PM

Grapes ?!?!?!?
 
I have been down with "the" flu since Friday. Found out last night throug casual conversation that while I was in a fog my dog got into a bowl full of grapes that was left on the coffee table and ate most of them. So my mom , who was here helping , gave him some more since he loved them and they are sooo healthy :shocked:

I called the vet and they said if they were going to be an issue they would have by now..no runs , no ill effects , no vomiting..he is peeing like a racehorse as per usual. Absolutely nothing even off about him .

The vet said only some dogs are effected by grapes and they are not sure why? I thought they were fatal. I do not keep grapes or raisins in the house for that reason ( my mom did shopping for me and bought them for my son who loves fruit even more than any kind of candy).

Reading up on it I see that only 1/3 of dogs who eat grapes will have an issue and that is only documented from 1989 and on? Weird. They think it is a reaction to a fungus or pesticide maybe?

In any event I wont be testing it again and will put a list of no no foods on the fridge for dogs next time I am incapacitated .

Oisin's Aoire 04-01-2014 12:08 PM

Oh , and my mother said she always gave our dogs grapes as treats..I do kind of remember that. Strange.

martemchik 04-01-2014 12:17 PM

No, there is something in the skin.

It really depends on the size of the dog, and the amount of grapes he took down. I see your dog is almost one year old. So I'll assume about 70+ lbs. Although grapes could have an ill effect, I believe that your dog would need to consume A LOT of grapes for them to be fatal. You might have a little stomach discomfort, so just watch him.

If by now nothing has happened, you're probably in the clear of any major issues.

Shade 04-01-2014 12:19 PM

Just a quick wikipedia search with references at bottom

Grape and raisin toxicity in dogs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ApselBear 04-01-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oisin's Aoire (Post 5306209)
I have been down with "the" flu since Friday. Found out last night throug casual conversation that while I was in a fog my dog got into a bowl full of grapes that was left on the coffee table and ate most of them. So my mom , who was here helping , gave him some more since he loved them and they are sooo healthy :shocked:

I called the vet and they said if they were going to be an issue they would have by now..no runs , no ill effects , no vomiting..he is peeing like a racehorse as per usual. Absolutely nothing even off about him .

The vet said only some dogs are effected by grapes and they are not sure why? I thought they were fatal. I do not keep grapes or raisins in the house for that reason ( my mom did shopping for me and bought them for my son who loves fruit even more than any kind of candy).

Reading up on it I see that only 1/3 of dogs who eat grapes will have an issue and that is only documented from 1989 and on? Weird. They think it is a reaction to a fungus or pesticide maybe?

In any event I wont be testing it again and will put a list of no no foods on the fridge for dogs next time I am incapacitated .

My gut feeling is the pesticides, but I definitely haven't done the research. I had an australian shepherd that loved to pick our home grown grapes off the vine. He'd pick them and pinched the peel off, just eating the meat. He lived a long life and never had any medical issues.

I will not recommend continuing feeding grapes to your dog though, as from what I under stand, the grapes harm the kidneys. I assume this could be a slow process where the effect eventually adds up, damaging the kidney.

One thing that I would caution is your note about the peeing like a race horse. This could be a sign of trouble if he is peeing too much. He could be taking in more water and peeing more to flush whatever toxins are ingested from the grapes. I'm not saying this is the case either just a heads up. If the grapes are a cause of excessive urination, this overworking of the kidneys is not good.

Again, I offer all this as opinion. I have no medical background, I only have a minor in chemistry which involved some biochem.

No one on here can tell you for sure that the grapes will or will not harm your dog. Your best bet is to avoid them, and not stress if he gets a couple here or there. Mostly just be vigilant.

my boy diesel 04-01-2014 01:29 PM

get blood work done

ApselBear 04-01-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my boy diesel (Post 5306713)
get blood work done

What good will blood work do besides line the vet's pockets at this point? It's too late for a stomach pump and the dog isn't showing any symptoms of poisoning. The OP only needs to stop her mom from feeding grapes, so she puts her no-no list on the fridge.

Unless the dog starts vomitting, showing signs of weakness or any other symptoms you can find on the wiki, blood work is not needed.

my boy diesel 04-01-2014 02:10 PM

would show kidney damage if present
kidney damage if mild may not be obvious at first

ApselBear 04-01-2014 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my boy diesel (Post 5306953)
would show kidney damage if present
kidney damage if mild may not be obvious at first

And your options then?

Oisin's Aoire 04-01-2014 03:50 PM

The peeing is his normal level of pee :) He is Raw fed and does not drink excessive water.

Everything with him is just as usual , vet said nothing to do. That the toxicity would have reared its head within 48 hours ((shrugs)) He said most dogs are simply unaffected while others dogs , regardless of size , can eat a handful of grapes and go down from it.

Well , I have a list for each kid on the inside of our cabinets ..what they eat , their activities , where their stuff is , bedtimes , etc .For the dogs I just have basic instructions like feeding times and how often they need to go out . It has not been updated since back when they were on kibble.

So I went ahead and did a thorough note for them too.Nobody knew "how " to feed them , to defrost stuff , and so on. My husband did ok with the feeding and walking , but there is now a red list of common items that are dangerous for dogs.

I started asking around and it seems plenty of people do not know about grapes ,onions . They know about chocolate ..but not other less publicized toxins.

And for some reason there is a prevailing myths that dogs cant have turkey?!?!?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2