Parvo exposure - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2014, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Parvo exposure

About 2 weeks ago a friend stopped by with a puppy. The pup ran around the yard while we chatted. I did not get Luke out, but they sniffed at each other thru the fence.
3 days later our buddy's pup died of parvo. So we ran to TSC, and got a booster shot for Luke. It's been a week since then. I still havent taken Luke out, because I'm afraid of this parvo in/on my yard.
What do you think? Is there something I can spray on my lawn to kill out any possible contamination?
BagLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

How old is luke?

The Parvo can stay in organic matter for at least a year. Diluted bleach (I think) 30 to 1) can kill it on non organic matter. Don't know if that would work on grass??
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Titer your dog for immunity to parvo. Aside from concrete there's not much you can do to kill the virus in your lawn, bleach if it's hard surface but one lawn it can live for 6 months.

I"m sad for the puppy. Also for your friend for not knowing better.

Parvo FAQs

Parvovirus | ASPCA

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
How old is luke?

The Parvo can stay in organic matter for at least a year. Diluted bleach (I think) 30 to 1) can kill it on non organic matter. Don't know if that would work on grass??
Hi Chip. Luke is 2 & 1/2 yrs old. We'll try the bleach in a pump up sprayer. Thanks
Old 03-31-2014, 07:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunCzarina View Post
Titer your dog for immunity to parvo. Aside from concrete there's not much you can do to kill the virus in your lawn, bleach if it's hard surface but one lawn it can live for 6 months.

I"m sad for the puppy. Also for your friend for not knowing better.

Parvo FAQs

Parvovirus | ASPCA
I don't understand that first word you wrote. He's up to date on his shots, but we went ahead and gave him a booster just in case. We're going to bleach the heck out of the yard anyway...probably kill the grass, but I don't care. Since he's over 2 yrs, do you think he'll be ok?
Old 03-31-2014, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

If I were to guess & again I'm only guessing a two and a half-year-old dog that's had proper vaccinations - all of the dogs life - is not going to be in major jeopardy of getting Parvo.

However, if you do spray bleach and you do not give it several days to kill anything and several waterings after a 72 hours, the dog could possibly get sick from the bleach -- so if you're going to use bleach use extreme care and after 72 hours -- go ahead and water the lawns thoroughly for over an hour - so that your animal could go out there - with no chance of ingesting any bleach or chlorine.
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 08:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehrgutcsg View Post
If I were to guess & again I'm only guessing a two and a half-year-old dog that's had proper vaccinations - all of the dogs life - is not going to be in major jeopardy of getting Parvo.

However, if you do spray bleach and you do not give it several days to kill anything and several waterings after a 72 hours, the dog could possibly get sick from the bleach -- so if you're going to use bleach use extreme care and after 72 hours -- go ahead and water the lawns thoroughly for over an hour - so that your animal could go out there - with no chance of ingesting any bleach or chlorine.
You know, I didn't even think about that. Thanks for the advice. I'm also glad to hear you think he's not in danger.

Last edited by BagLady; 03-31-2014 at 08:17 PM. Reason: added on
Old 03-31-2014, 11:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Bleach is useless on lawns. Organic matter inactivates the cleaning agent of it. It's why you have to clean up messes before you use bleach to clean up. So since a lawn is basically all organic matter, you won't do any good lol.

Diluting the areas where the puppy potentially pooped would be the way to deal with it in your yard. Given how long it lives in your yard, and pending the location - if you have neighbors who could possibly walk young animals/immunosuppressed ones nearby - it likely won't hurt to flood the yard a few times to try and dilute the particles down. If you do that a few times in the span of a few days, you should make it harder for an animal to pick it up. It needs 7 solid months of direct sunlight to kill it (which is why it can live a few years, depending on the location on your yard).

The virus sucks. It is a really well protected virus.

But as someone else pointed out, since your dog is older and likely properly vaccinated, you should be okay.

Titers are antibiotic titers. They take a blood sample and measure how many antibodies there are floating around for a specific disease. People will often do them to avoid needing additional vaccines, and to make sure the animal/person is properly protected if exposed to a potential disease since everyone is unique in their own way lol.
Colie CVT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 11:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagLady View Post
I don't understand that first word you wrote. He's up to date on his shots, but we went ahead and gave him a booster just in case. We're going to bleach the heck out of the yard anyway...probably kill the grass, but I don't care. Since he's over 2 yrs, do you think he'll be ok?

Titer? It's a blood test to show the level of antibody in the blood - tells if your dogs body already knows how to fight parvovirus due to being vaccinated. Although you probably would have wanted to do this before you gave him the booster. I'm surprised your vet didn't suggest it given the situation.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 11:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

A properly vaccinated, healthy 2 year old dog is not going to get Parvo. As well boostering with the vaccine after exposure would be basically pointless, as the virus can show symptoms 3-5 days after exposure and the vaccine can take up to 10-14 days after administration to form proper immunity.

I wouldn't bleach your lawn. It's not going to do anything except kill your grass and ruin your landscape.

There is not an exact known amount of time Parvo is said to survive in the environment, but some sources say it can survive for up to 5 years. Definitely way longer than 6 months.

I would simply avoid puppy exposure in your yard

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.