German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Parvo exposure (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/431913-parvo-exposure.html)

BagLady 03-31-2014 12:12 PM

Parvo exposure
 
About 2 weeks ago a friend stopped by with a puppy. The pup ran around the yard while we chatted. I did not get Luke out, but they sniffed at each other thru the fence.
3 days later our buddy's pup died of parvo. So we ran to TSC, and got a booster shot for Luke. It's been a week since then. I still havent taken Luke out, because I'm afraid of this parvo in/on my yard.
What do you think? Is there something I can spray on my lawn to kill out any possible contamination?

Chip18 03-31-2014 12:59 PM

How old is luke?

The Parvo can stay in organic matter for at least a year. Diluted bleach (I think) 30 to 1) can kill it on non organic matter. Don't know if that would work on grass??

SunCzarina 03-31-2014 01:11 PM

Titer your dog for immunity to parvo. Aside from concrete there's not much you can do to kill the virus in your lawn, bleach if it's hard surface but one lawn it can live for 6 months.

I"m sad for the puppy. Also for your friend for not knowing better.

Parvo FAQs

Parvovirus | ASPCA

BagLady 03-31-2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chip18 (Post 5301241)
How old is luke?

The Parvo can stay in organic matter for at least a year. Diluted bleach (I think) 30 to 1) can kill it on non organic matter. Don't know if that would work on grass??

Hi Chip. Luke is 2 & 1/2 yrs old. We'll try the bleach in a pump up sprayer. Thanks

BagLady 03-31-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunCzarina (Post 5301353)
Titer your dog for immunity to parvo. Aside from concrete there's not much you can do to kill the virus in your lawn, bleach if it's hard surface but one lawn it can live for 6 months.

I"m sad for the puppy. Also for your friend for not knowing better.

Parvo FAQs

Parvovirus | ASPCA

I don't understand that first word you wrote. He's up to date on his shots, but we went ahead and gave him a booster just in case. We're going to bleach the heck out of the yard anyway...probably kill the grass, but I don't care. Since he's over 2 yrs, do you think he'll be ok?

sehrgutcsg 03-31-2014 06:48 PM

If I were to guess & again I'm only guessing a two and a half-year-old dog that's had proper vaccinations - all of the dogs life - is not going to be in major jeopardy of getting Parvo.

However, if you do spray bleach and you do not give it several days to kill anything and several waterings after a 72 hours, the dog could possibly get sick from the bleach -- so if you're going to use bleach use extreme care and after 72 hours -- go ahead and water the lawns thoroughly for over an hour - so that your animal could go out there - with no chance of ingesting any bleach or chlorine.

BagLady 03-31-2014 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sehrgutcsg (Post 5303009)
If I were to guess & again I'm only guessing a two and a half-year-old dog that's had proper vaccinations - all of the dogs life - is not going to be in major jeopardy of getting Parvo.

However, if you do spray bleach and you do not give it several days to kill anything and several waterings after a 72 hours, the dog could possibly get sick from the bleach -- so if you're going to use bleach use extreme care and after 72 hours -- go ahead and water the lawns thoroughly for over an hour - so that your animal could go out there - with no chance of ingesting any bleach or chlorine.

You know, I didn't even think about that. Thanks for the advice. I'm also glad to hear you think he's not in danger.

Colie CVT 03-31-2014 10:12 PM

Bleach is useless on lawns. Organic matter inactivates the cleaning agent of it. It's why you have to clean up messes before you use bleach to clean up. So since a lawn is basically all organic matter, you won't do any good lol.

Diluting the areas where the puppy potentially pooped would be the way to deal with it in your yard. Given how long it lives in your yard, and pending the location - if you have neighbors who could possibly walk young animals/immunosuppressed ones nearby - it likely won't hurt to flood the yard a few times to try and dilute the particles down. If you do that a few times in the span of a few days, you should make it harder for an animal to pick it up. It needs 7 solid months of direct sunlight to kill it (which is why it can live a few years, depending on the location on your yard).

The virus sucks. It is a really well protected virus.

But as someone else pointed out, since your dog is older and likely properly vaccinated, you should be okay.

Titers are antibiotic titers. They take a blood sample and measure how many antibodies there are floating around for a specific disease. People will often do them to avoid needing additional vaccines, and to make sure the animal/person is properly protected if exposed to a potential disease since everyone is unique in their own way lol.

SunCzarina 03-31-2014 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BagLady (Post 5303001)
I don't understand that first word you wrote. He's up to date on his shots, but we went ahead and gave him a booster just in case. We're going to bleach the heck out of the yard anyway...probably kill the grass, but I don't care. Since he's over 2 yrs, do you think he'll be ok?


Titer? It's a blood test to show the level of antibody in the blood - tells if your dogs body already knows how to fight parvovirus due to being vaccinated. Although you probably would have wanted to do this before you gave him the booster. I'm surprised your vet didn't suggest it given the situation.

Anubis_Star 03-31-2014 10:50 PM

A properly vaccinated, healthy 2 year old dog is not going to get Parvo. As well boostering with the vaccine after exposure would be basically pointless, as the virus can show symptoms 3-5 days after exposure and the vaccine can take up to 10-14 days after administration to form proper immunity.

I wouldn't bleach your lawn. It's not going to do anything except kill your grass and ruin your landscape.

There is not an exact known amount of time Parvo is said to survive in the environment, but some sources say it can survive for up to 5 years. Definitely way longer than 6 months.

I would simply avoid puppy exposure in your yard

Sent from Petguide.com Free App


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2