Neutering - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2014, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Neutering

I want to have my pup neutered but my boyfriend doesn't want to.. because he's being a dude and doesn't want our pup to 'be less manly', but I keep telling him he's being a retard. Lol. We don't plan to mate him with another dog.. so why not get him neutered?

What are the pros and cons of neutering?
kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2014, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Neutering a dog has nothing to do with being less of a male dog, you aren't going to turn him into a little girl. Geeze some men need to get over this concept.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 10:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are pages and pages of threads on this topic.
You draw your own conclusions.

Welcome to the official home of the German Shepherd Dog, a dog respected and admired throughout the world for its versatility, loyalty and intelligence. - Search Results for what age neutering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vByprTTj1c

Last edited by Sunflowers; 03-29-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Dogs don't think of 'them' like human males do!

I get my boys done because I don't want them wandering. Used to do rescue work and took in quite a few boys who wandered off cruising for chicks until they were neutered.

When I was a kid, our unaltered 13 year old GSD bred the neighbors Samoyed. That made an impression. Too many unwanted dogs in the world.

They can also get testicular cancer if they're not altered.

I also don't like the icky boy behaviors. Not all of them are icky but Otto was. He got a vasectomy for his first birthday.

Some people say to wait until they're 2 and done growing, they need the testosterone for solid bone mass and muscle. Was not an issue for Otto.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Seriously though.. they really need to learn a thing or two about that.. Personally, I waited til almost a year for Titan to be neutered because I wanted him to grow and develop more to his potential.

I do know that there are risks of cancer when keeping a male intact but I am not positive on the statistics of that. I would have had to neuter Titan regardless because only one descended and that is cancerous if not removed.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 11:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Of course if the testicles are gone, they can't get testicular cancer.
And neutering early causes other cancers.

Risk versus benefit.

Spaying and Neutering | Angry Vet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enPCZA1WFKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vByprTTj1c
Old 03-29-2014, 11:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't know if it causes those cancers, but the risk increases. My uneducated theory is that we all have cancer cells, and the hormones and function of those glands can keep all things in a balance, and thus more healthy. When they are removed, especially early before maturation takes place, the lack of them causes other things to be a bit out of whack and for some dogs the cancer cells then are not kept in check and the develop cancer sooner.

As for testicular cancer it is rare, and relative easy to diagnose and generally can be treated by neutering at that point. With a retained testicle, abnormalities will be harder to notice and therefore the risk becomes greater, for the retained testicle. Testicular cancer generally hits older dogs.

The other cancers whose risk is increased by early neuter, take them younger and are tougher to manage, these are osteosarcoma, hemangiosarcoma, and prostate cancer.

Wandering is a containment issue. A wondering dog can get themselves in a world of pain whether neutered or not. I think the reason a lot of intact dogs are picked up wandering is while not everyone that doesn't alter their pet is irresponsible, but most irresponsible people do not bother to neuter, and dogs that are wandering, their owners are irresponsible. So, most wandering dogs will be intact.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I don't know if it causes those cancers, but the risk increases. .
My bad.

I should have written "might cause."

Here is another article by a very respected vet:

EARLY SPAY-NEUTER IN THE CANINE ATHLETE, by Chris Zink, DVM, PHd
Old 03-30-2014, 04:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Neutering is a personal choice. If you don't want an intact dog and the responsibility associated with it, then you should 100% neuter.

However, I do believe there are MANY risks associated with early spay and neuter. I strongly feel that dogs should be 12-18 months before neutering. If owners choose to do it beforehand to avoid unwanted behaviors (of which there are really none, sorry), then so be it. But at least understand and acknowledge that you're potentially risking some health concerns for the sake of convenience. Berlin is the first dog I've never neutered (Zeke was done at 9 months, Luther was done at 4 months), and he is 15 months now. I've yet to see any unwanted behavior that my other dogs did not have. He's social, friendly, well behaved, and does not mark everything he sees.

Here are some arguments on the risks from very well respected veterinarian sources

Pet spay-neuter studies spotlight health risks, benefits - VIN

For some reason my computer won't let me share the PDF link, but if you google "long term effects of spay neuter in dogs" a PDF reviewed paper from naiaonline pops up as one of the first links, titled "Long-Term Health Risks and Benefits Associated with Spay and Neuter of Dogs"

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 11:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Neutering isn't too important to me (this is based on the dogs I have owned) as I've never had a problem that I thought neutering might fix or help. And if testicular cancer presented itself I would neuter them at that point. I personally feel if an animal has something (and they as a species remain to be living and thriving) the pros of them remaining with it outweigh the cons a thousand-fold! I'm not a science wizz but I firmly believe everything in a living being is connected and removing one thing can alter the future development of said animal. Everything has a purpose and reason or it wouldn't exist (and in this case the main function is to reproduce, but I'm sure it affects and contributes much more). Now, I'm not against neutering but I see it as more of a last option not as a preventative measure. But that's a personal preference and opinion.
GSDluver4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.