Sorta quick help/advice needed - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Sorta quick help/advice needed

My 13 month old is making me VERY nervous.

After sleeping she got up and drank a decent bit of water. 30 seconds maybe? Then 5 minutes later started crying in pain. Tummy was tight-ish. Rhythmic muscle tensioning and loosening, a bit of gas. Could not settle down, was in obvious pain.

Now, she is back to normal, a bit weirded out and likely feeding off my worry. Running about and acting 90% of her normal puppy idiot self. Tummy feels fine but that rhythmic muscle tense/release is still barely there.

I called the e-vet and explained this all carefully and they said to wait it out and be hyper vigilant. Right now I think she shocked her tummy with a big ingestion of cold-cold water. I am staying at home tonight to keep an eye on her and will immediately drag her to the e-vet if I get even a whiff of bloat.

My question now is: Is there anything I can do to stack the deck in her favor? Ahhhh, awesome she just ripped a nasty one, that's good. I think I am out of the woods on this one but would still like advice/tips on things to watch and do for the next 24-36 hours to assure a happy outcome.
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2014, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Make sure she's drinking and eating normal. Keep an eye on her tummy and make sure it's not tensing up or pulsating again.. I still may call another emergency vet just to ask and get another professional opinion.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
Make sure she's drinking and eating normal. Keep an eye on her tummy and make sure it's not tensing up or pulsating again.. I still may call another emergency vet just to ask and get another professional opinion.
This place is top-flight. I spoke with a doc too. They pretty much said to bring her in if I get antsy. She is acting almost 100% right now, stretching and not exactly frolicking but being the knob she normally is. No pulsing that I can discern, tail a floppin around. Called work and I'm not going in, gonna pay for that move too.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well good def keep an eye on it.. Had something random happen to Titan one night too, told my work either I wasn't coming in, or Titan was coming to work with me.. Titan came with me

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Do you have activated charcoal on hand? If no, go get some they usually come in 260mg capsules. This will neutralize gas. Some say having gas-x on hand in case of emergency too. I think the quick dissolve strips - just make sure they don't contain xylitol. But I go natural first - 2x 260mg. repeat a couple hrs later if needed. She may have black poop after.

Also - take her for a 15 min walk - this will stimulate the gastro-intestinal tract to move things along.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Just gave the dogs a 1/4 of their normal meals(raw beef, egg, kept it simple). Neither are drinking much. Will give 1/2 a few hours from now and then finish off the last 1/4 about an hour before bed. Allie spunked right up after the meal, acting 100% now. I really really hope it was just a nasty stomach cramp. She has been passing gas a good bit, that has to feel good.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Activated charcoal and Gas-X. I keep both on hand. Hope it was just bad gas!

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

How much gas-x would one use with a 80-90 pound dog? I bought gas-x a while back to have on hand but never remembered to ask the question here. I hope Alli is fine brembo...they worry us so much sometimes don't they? While we are at it someone tell me how to use the activated charcoal also..please? And would you use both if you suspected bloat?
Old 03-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

I start with 2 Gas-x. Have been known to give a third if I am still worried.

Can't answer about activated Charcoal, never used it before for this purpose.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 03-30-2014, 04:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

If you EVER suspect bloat, never guess and just give medication to wait it out and see. Vet immediately. There's no way, without doing xrays, to tell if it's simple bloat or an actual gastric torsion (stomach flips), and if it is a flipped stomach (GDV), then the dog will die without surgery. I had a german shepherd patient die on the operating table one time, it's stomach had likely been flipped for a couple hours and was completely black and necrotic. We tried to flip the stomach back around and as soon as the doctor touched it the dog coded.

A large dog can get 1 human dose of Gas-X to help relieve gas. If you suspect your dog is bloated, you can give 2 doses and then rush to the vet. Bring along any medications you gave so the vet can read the labels and see the doses used.

Other symptoms of GDV include retching - one of the biggest symptoms - dog appears like it's trying to vomit but can't, obvious distended stomach (but I've seen a few rare cases where the stomach didn't swell), hunched back due to pain, discomfort in general, restless, unwilling to lay down.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.