German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Partial amputated tail (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/430849-partial-amputated-tail.html)

Sallie's Mom 03-29-2014 12:22 AM

Partial amputated tail

My Sallie had to get about 4 inches amputated from her tail last Friday. Not sure what happened, as she didn't act like she was injured, but was bleeding from the end of her tail. My dining room looked like a massacre had taken place. With every swish of her tail, the room was splattered in blood. Took her into the Vet and they could not close the wound and had to amputate. The send it off for testing. Got the results today, and they said not cancer. they think it was bruised and scraped from wagging it too hard and hitting stuff, then became an abscess. Not sure I agree with this, because there are still some areas that look swollen and scrapped on the shaved area of her tail. My question is do you have any suggestions as to keep the bandages on. She left them alone for the first 3 days, but then when she wagged her tail, it flew off. Now I can not keep one on and she has started to lick it and make it bleed. I am taking her in for an e-collar in the morning. Have to admit, her tail looks pretty funny right now. She has about 6-7 inches of furry tail and then about 4 inches of shaved tail. She does not act like she is in pain, but does not like the bandages on her tail. But when I left it off, she wagged her tail and hit the chair leg and made it start bleeding again. Just want to protect it until it can heal. Thanks for listening!

Anubis_Star 03-29-2014 07:35 AM

Realize it may be way too late in the night by now, but call a local emergency vet and ask if you can just stop by and buy an e-collar from them. She should of been sent home with one as dogs can never be expected to not go after bandages, but definitely needs to have one on after this regardless.

Tail bandages are hard to stay on due to the shape of the tail. It may come down to very strict kenneling for a few weeks while it heals if she's going to be hitting it on things and re-opening the wound. They likely may try a different taping method when you take her in.

I wouldn't disbelieve a tail injury leading to an abscess. Tails can be a hard area of the body to heal due to the way they may constantly be in motion and hitting things.

David Winners 03-29-2014 07:50 AM

I feel your pain. Fama busted her tail open in her kennel on a long flight and when I took her to the hotel room it looked like a murder scene. It's amazing how much their tails will bleed. I should have taken pictures of the hotel room before I cleaned it up.

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/r.../Fama/Tail.jpg

I ended up using the plastic from a large syringe, a turkey baster would work, and cut it down in length. Then I placed the syringe over her tail and taped it on, like armor. She wasn't messing with it, but kept bashing it on stuff causing it to reopen. The vet gave me some topical ointment to put on it as well.

K9POPPY 03-29-2014 09:23 AM

There are some really good different type E-collars on the market now, we use a soft-type flexible cloth collar on all our GSD's, found on Amazon. We call tail injuries Lab-tail, because they will often wag their tails against the run , they wear off the hair, making a raw, bloody mess. We bandage with small bandage, then wrap with Elastikon, a super-adhesive wrap-tape (also at Amazon), but an E-collar is often needed if dog bothers wrap- IMHO< Bob

Sallie's Mom 03-29-2014 05:28 PM

Thanks everyone! I think I am going to try to find a syringe and see if she will leave it on. She was doing fine with the bandages when she was kenneled, but now when I have her in there she takes it off. As long as she is actually with me she leaves it alone. But when I have to leave for work, or even just to take a shower I come home and it is off again.

Springbrz 03-29-2014 05:51 PM

To be clear the e-collars mention in the above posts are Elizabethan collars and not the electric stim training e-collar.
Hope your girl has a quick recovery.