German Shepherds Forum banner

She's not herself anymore...

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Nigel 
#1 ·
Long story as short as I can make it, about a month ago my 3 year old GSD, Honey, went to get the ball and she let out a yelp. I didn't think anything of it but over the course of a week or two she acted like she was in pain in either her hind leg or her hips. I kept an eye on her and then one time when her and my other dog, Rudy, was outside Rudy came to her and wanted to play. Honey tried to lunge forward to play back and let out another yelp. So that confirmed to me that something wasn't right. I took her to the vet and they felt her knees and hips and told me they didn't feel anything abnormal and sent her home with pain meds. If she was still in pain after a week, she was to get x-rays. She wasn't better. The x-rays showed no signs of the dreaded hip displaysia that GSD parents have to worry about. So I re-filled her pain med prescription and thought that she must have sprained something or pulled a muscle and that she would be back to her crazy self in no time. But it's been a while now and although she isn't yelping or anything anymore, she still won't play with Rudy outside like she has always done... every. single. time. So what should I do now? Should I get a second opinion from another vet? Or am I just overreacting? Please help! :confused::confused::confused:

#2 · (Edited)
she might still be in pain, and just being stoic about it. try going on a short walk and watching her closely to see if she's favoring a leg. a month may seem awhile but since GS are so smart she may remember hurting herself during the game and so doesn't want to play. see what other members say but take it easy for a little while longer and if it doesn't get better you could try going to the vet again or trying a different one. if there's still no diagnosis try find an alternative game she and rudy could play to maybe work back into play mood

Hope she feels better! and I don't think you're overreacting, an injury followed by a behavior change is nothing to shrug off.

#9 ·
That's what I thought it was too, that she was just being careful to not hurt it again but the next morning after I posted this I let them outside before work and when I went to check on them Honey was whining and limping on one leg. So there has to be something still wrong...

#11 ·
Have them check the ACL. It may be partially torn. If it was blown she wouldn't be using it. My little dog blew out his right ACL he only yelped once, but when he tried to walk there was no support with that leg. His left one is partially torn. The right one was surgically repaired.

From what I understood at the time, torn ACL's don't show up on xrays, but they can usually tell by mensuration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.