German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   worms? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/430146-worms.html)

owens91 03-27-2014 04:17 PM

worms?

This was quite alarming Ok so last week ares had gotten dewormed at the local spca. It says single dose on it. She is around 5 weeks old. Now today she went poo and I deff seen a worm in it. Now she only goes outside to use the bathroom she has been doing ok with potty training. We don't walk she jus goes bathroom and rightback in. Now is this the medicine getting rid of the worms or should I get her dewormed again?

selzer 03-27-2014 08:10 PM

Yes, you have a baby. Babies need to be wormed every 2-3 weeks.

And different worms, need different wormer. You should take a sample of her poop into the VET and have them do a fecal, and give you the right wormer for her age and worm load.

Some worms only shed eggs sometimes, so they need to be wormed against or many fecals must come up negative for them. I think hooks are like this, but I could be wrong.

And, wormers often kill adult worms, but do not necessarily kill developing wormlets. So, your initial wormer got some of them, at some of the stages, in two weeks you need to worm again.

owens91 03-27-2014 09:43 PM

I should of took a pic of it. I used a stick to pull it out of the poo deff was a worm

selzer 03-27-2014 09:49 PM

Of course it was a worm. Most puppies have worms, and need to be wormed several times to get them all.

Here's the thing, you should have taken a poop bag, and collected it, and taken it to your vet so you can treat the worms your puppy has. Google puppies and worms. You should be able to get an idea what a roundworm looks like or a tapeworm, I don't think you would see hook worms, but I could be wrong about that.

Sometimes the worms do not come out unless they are dying. So that is good, but you need to realize that leaving the poop on the ground is how worm infestations work, at least with some varieties, the worms have some of their development in the soil and then go from there into the dogs and other critters.

owens91 03-28-2014 09:52 PM

The vet today said that it ciuld of been the worms dying that's ehatvi seen. Pretty much come back when she get her shots and if I still see anything they will lab test the poo and give her another deormer. The gave her drontal today though.

volcano 03-28-2014 10:00 PM

my pup got 3 dewormings from the breeder by 7 weeks, I think they were every 2-3 days for 3 doses, and she was negative at the vet. Your 5 week old is too young to be sold, but on the worms id keep an eye on it. It may be too soon for multiple dewormings?

selzer 03-28-2014 10:01 PM

Drontal is a wormer, good. Your pup does not need to compete with a worm load.

owens91 03-29-2014 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volcano (Post 5287873)
my pup got 3 dewormings from the breeder by 7 weeks, I think they were every 2-3 days for 3 doses, and she was negative at the vet. Your 5 week old is too young to be sold, but on the worms id keep an eye on it. It may be too soon for multiple dewormings?

They said they gonna do it like every 2-3 weeks until atleast 3 months