Cyst changing size - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2014, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cyst changing size

Hi GSD friends,

My 1.5 year old female has a benign cyst on her back (near her right hock). It's been there for several months and doesn't seem to bother her at all. Even though it's just a fatty cyst, the vet recommended we get it removed (said the cell walls were inflamed and could rupture, causing problems). We decided to leave it for now and avoid that hefty bill until it became a problem (quoted us $1,000). I heard these things might sometimes go away on their own, or be with a dog a long time without being an issue.

Over the past few months we noticed it keeps changing in size. It's gotten as large as a ping pong ball, and then as small as a pea. And so on. Does anyone know if this is normal? Nothing has ruptured, so is it just draining internally? Should we be going to the vet or getting it removed?

It still doesn't seem to bother her at all. It's fine to touch, the skin isn't red. She is still her happy self with tons of energy. The only things that have been off this past month is that some mornings she's starting to bury her breakfast instead of eating it (chicken carcass) - but we've also changed the time we feed her to much earlier because of some work changes (she might not be hungry at 5:30/6:00 am). And once a week she'll throw up a little in the late afternoon (just bile). But I think that could also be attributed to the schedule changes and her just being hungry (I'm thinking of giving her a little lunch so the break between breakfast and supper isn't so long).

I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking an issue this cyst might be causing! I'm not sure why it keeps changing in size...

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Cyst changing size-933982_10151660004037408_689322118_n.jpg  
Nova&Uschi'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 11:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Our previous dog had a hard cyst the size of a quarter on her chest, it never changed but we had it removed and it was benign. She got two more as she aged but we never had them removed.

Our cat has a cysts that seldom changes, but went away once when the vet gave her prednisone for flea allergy. It then grew back to old size, we decided not to remove it. Maybe in the future if your dog has to go under sedation for something like teeth cleaning or whatever, you can have it remove, that would seem more practical if you think it is benign.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 11:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks so much for your input Gretchen. At her last vet visit in October we had it drained and the fluid tested. Vet said it was benign, but still recommended we remove it because it looked inflamed. We were torn because it doesn't seem to bother her at all. It went back to it's ping pong ball size shortly after it was drained. Since then it just keeps changing (small for a while, then large...).
Nova&Uschi'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 12:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ya, sometimes my dogs throw up bile too when their tummies are really empty due to mostly my schedule changes. The cyst thing, well some of my dogs have had cysts as they've aged, or rather growths. I'm not a vet, but if it's not ruptured on the outside but gets smaller then larger, obviously it's draining. And filling up again. Hopefully it's nothing harmful to her since the only place it could drain would be her body. One of my dogs had a cyst that would get big, I just lanced it and drained the fluid. It'd be good for awhile then fill up again.
Jakesworld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.