Is my gsd underweight? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2014, 04:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is my gsd underweight?

Dear all,
Need your opinion on my gsd. Currently 15month old. Last month weight measured 68lbs. Attached are the photos taken today. Is he going through the "long and bony" stage? He is eating fine and energetic. Currently on 350g of dry kibbles per day. Stool is partly soft and partly loose in consistency.

Please advise me.
Attached Thumbnails
Is my gsd underweight?-image.jpg  
lionelchia1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 04:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Another picture of him from sideway
Attached Thumbnails
Is my gsd underweight?-image.jpg  
Old 03-23-2014, 05:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

To me 65lb for a 15mo is pretty lean, he does have a nice trim waist which is what you want. 65lb is a good average weight for an 8 to 9 month old.

Not sure if 350g is enough food for him. Do you feed anything else as well as the dry kibble?

If you feel he is getting adequate amount of food each day, then keep an eye on him and if he does not gain weight over the next month then I would have him tested for EPI EPI in Snapshots - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency and also SIBO.

I have a 3yo GSD male that was diagnosed with EPI last year, at 2 1/2 years old he weighed and looked like a 1 year old. I thought he was a good trim weight but soon realised something was not right when I realised he weighed 32kg at 2 1/2yo. So I had him tested for EPI and he is now on replacement enzymes and weighs a healthy 39kg (85lb).

Not trying to scare you, just something to consider.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm

Last edited by Harry and Lola; 03-23-2014 at 05:17 AM.
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 05:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Well I'm feeding according to the feeding table I found in the packaging. I will try to ask vet see if they can run test for the EPI and SIBO. I really can't tell he is getting enough or not because his stool is never solid. At best also half soft consistency and half loose. I haven't tried many variety of dog food but none gives good result.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yes, underweight. I can't really tell from the side view pic. But from the top, very thin. He should have a waistline. But it looks like there's too much definition in the hips. Again hard to tell from the pics. At least for me. You should be able to feel his ribs and see the last one or two. His hip bones shouldn't have a sharp protrusion. If you're feeding by the bag chart, those are "guidelines", dogs are all individuals. Up his food a little bit each week and see if he doesn't put on some pounds. Also, if your food contains wheat, some dogs are allergic to wheat. Maybe have a stool sample checked at the vet. Just suggestions, good luck.
Jakesworld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think he looks fine..seriously. All mature at different rates. At two years old my boy hovered around 65-67 pounds. He will be 4 this week & 74-76 pounds- a good weight for him. Again, I think he looks good.

Bring in a stool sample for the vet to test at your next appt.

Is his poop normally formed & firm on the kibble he's being fed? Did the mushy poop just start? (Oh the poop descriptions)

We want our german shepherds to grow slow & steady.

Last edited by Courtney; 03-23-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I would err to the side of a little underweight at 15 months, just to be kind to those growing joints. He is a bit skinny, nothing I'd lose sleep over.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think people are hung up by the weight "number." Including myself. I don't think you said how tall he was. Different heights and sizes are going to be different weights at the same age. Also some dogs have a finer bones, or rather frame. For me, if the hip bones are protruding that's too thin. But that's just my opinion.
Jakesworld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

I really can't comment on the weight of the dog. I think that would be up to your veterinarian, but I will comment on the soft stools. If you put the dog on plant enzymes / digestive enzymes and get the dog some minerals like (Animin bentonite) you might have better luck with proper complete digestion.. As far as the coat. I'm using coconut oil and both of my dogs have extremely good stools with home-cooked chicken, rice with vegetables mixed with kibble. It's my opinion that if your dog is had soft stools and you've been on the same food your digestion is off kilter and the dog will never gain the weight you want, on the other side of the coin - you want the dog to be lean but you want the stools absolutely perfect!
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 02:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you all for your comments.

I just took this photo of his stool this morning. It starts out ok then become soft stool. THis happens to any brand of kibble i fed. I fed the same kibble to my beagle but his stool is rock solid.

It's very difficult for me to add the amount as you can see his stool consistency already not that good.

I'm feeding Profine Junior Large breed potato and chicken.
Junior large breed chicken and potatoes - Profine
Attached Thumbnails
Is my gsd underweight?-image1.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.