Lick Granuloma - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2014, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Lick Granuloma

Anyone else have any ideas on how to stop this? Zoey had one a year ago, we used pepper bandages to prevent the licking and upped her exercise to prevent boredom. I had to work a lot this winter and she did not get as much activity so I'm sure that's a contributing factor, she now has three of them on her front legs.

Vet says it psychological, the licking releases endorphins and suggested using prozac, not sure about that, shes a happy dog with lots of energy. Now that spring is here I've upped her exercise, but she's still licking. Someone else pointed out the risk of the pepper bandage getting in her eyes should she rub her face somehow, looking for some suggestions.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

We think Eko had one, it was very small, the vet suggested a cone but he ended up having to have it on for like 2 months until he would stop trying to lick his front leg. I don't know if you would want one on that long it was a pain. But it was more about just breaking the habit.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

try keeping the area sprayed with tea tree oil....yep - boredom and/or stress can caus the behavior...

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

We thought about the collar too, but I'm hoping to avoid that. The tea tree oil sounds intresting, is it harmful if they do lick it? Zoey doesn't seem to stress too much, but she does jump up and is ready to go at any time, I'm certain with her its boredem, especially during the 6-7 hours DW and I are at work.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

no - it must taste terrible....you can get spray bottles of it on amazon.com

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would look at the area on an acupuncture chart and see what meridian they ref. Then I would address it that way....i.e. acupuncture point is the liver address the liver (milk thistle) and so on.

And put coconut oil on, vet wrap and yucky spray over that.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I will order some tea tree oil, gotta gets some penaten as well. I'm lost on the acupuncture, can you dumb that down for me Gator? Lol!
Old 03-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

We had the same problem as you. Tried everything mentioned with NO success, for months. You can try it all, it might work for you. Did exactly what your vet suggested, for 2 months, it worked . Period. 1 year later, no more problems!
K9POPPY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Niko used to get them and I would put medicated gold bond powder on them and wrap with a bandage, always heeled pretty quickly, works for hot spots too. Our vet said boredom had nothing to do with it but I totally disagree with her.
Apoolutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 11:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
I would look at the area on an acupuncture chart and see what meridian they ref. Then I would address it that way....i.e. acupuncture point is the liver address the liver (milk thistle) and so on.

And put coconut oil on, vet wrap and yucky spray over that.
Just realised Rangers physical therapist is also a vet and holistic as well, she already did acupuncture on him t help him relax, we'll see what she thinks about it.

We may have to give the Gold Bond a try too, but having her bandaged up while were at work, it may not stay on very long. I'm also thinking about bring her to work with me and keep her in the shop. I could let her run during breaks, lots of open land and its fenced in too, might help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.