German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Lick Granuloma (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/428058-lick-granuloma.html)

Nigel 03-22-2014 06:18 PM

Lick Granuloma

Anyone else have any ideas on how to stop this? Zoey had one a year ago, we used pepper bandages to prevent the licking and upped her exercise to prevent boredom. I had to work a lot this winter and she did not get as much activity so I'm sure that's a contributing factor, she now has three of them on her front legs.

Vet says it psychological, the licking releases endorphins and suggested using prozac, not sure about that, shes a happy dog with lots of energy. Now that spring is here I've upped her exercise, but she's still licking. Someone else pointed out the risk of the pepper bandage getting in her eyes should she rub her face somehow, looking for some suggestions.

Sarah~ 03-22-2014 06:22 PM

We think Eko had one, it was very small, the vet suggested a cone but he ended up having to have it on for like 2 months until he would stop trying to lick his front leg. I don't know if you would want one on that long it was a pain. But it was more about just breaking the habit.

wolfstraum 03-22-2014 06:29 PM

try keeping the area sprayed with tea tree oil....yep - boredom and/or stress can caus the behavior...

Lee

Nigel 03-22-2014 07:02 PM

We thought about the collar too, but I'm hoping to avoid that. The tea tree oil sounds intresting, is it harmful if they do lick it? Zoey doesn't seem to stress too much, but she does jump up and is ready to go at any time, I'm certain with her its boredem, especially during the 6-7 hours DW and I are at work.

wolfstraum 03-22-2014 07:27 PM

no - it must taste terrible....you can get spray bottles of it on amazon.com

Lee

GatorBytes 03-22-2014 07:33 PM

I would look at the area on an acupuncture chart and see what meridian they ref. Then I would address it that way....i.e. acupuncture point is the liver address the liver (milk thistle) and so on.

And put coconut oil on, vet wrap and yucky spray over that.

Nigel 03-22-2014 07:55 PM

I will order some tea tree oil, gotta gets some penaten as well. I'm lost on the acupuncture, can you dumb that down for me Gator? Lol!

K9POPPY 03-22-2014 08:18 PM

We had the same problem as you. Tried everything mentioned with NO success, for months. You can try it all, it might work for you. Did exactly what your vet suggested, for 2 months, it worked . Period. 1 year later, no more problems!:)

Apoolutz 03-22-2014 08:41 PM

Niko used to get them and I would put medicated gold bond powder on them and wrap with a bandage, always heeled pretty quickly, works for hot spots too. Our vet said boredom had nothing to do with it but I totally disagree with her.

Nigel 03-22-2014 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorBytes (Post 5249698)
I would look at the area on an acupuncture chart and see what meridian they ref. Then I would address it that way....i.e. acupuncture point is the liver address the liver (milk thistle) and so on.

And put coconut oil on, vet wrap and yucky spray over that.

Just realised Rangers physical therapist is also a vet and holistic as well, she already did acupuncture on him t help him relax, we'll see what she thinks about it.

We may have to give the Gold Bond a try too, but having her bandaged up while were at work, it may not stay on very long. I'm also thinking about bring her to work with me and keep her in the shop. I could let her run during breaks, lots of open land and its fenced in too, might help.