German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Lime pellets - are they hazarous? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/427442-lime-pellets-they-hazarous.html)

SunCzarina 03-21-2014 01:23 PM

Lime pellets - are they hazarous?

I have to put down lime to regrow the lawn. Haven't done anything much in the last few years to improve the back yard and last years grass growth was a miserable failure.

Can't find a straight answer online if lime pellets are harmful in small doses. My son is going to use a spreader to put it down.

Or how long it takes them to get worked into the soil. It's supposed to rain tonight. Wish I'd gotten it done Wednesday when we had like 3" of rain.

We fenced off the back 40 when the snow melted because Venus and Otto were running through the mud back there. Otto respects why the 4ft wire fence is there and he will stay out of it.

Not Venus! She was 3 months old when it was fenced off last year. So this year it's a puzzle for her - How do I get my naughty teenage self IN THERE. I've put back together the edges she's wiggled apart to sneak in.

Morgan used to do the same thing at that age - it's actually the same fence I bought when Morgan was a teenager trying to sneak into the garden just to prove she could. I can barricade it with chairs and booby trap it with noisy metal poles but I know she'll get in there because Morgan always had the will to find a way.

So am I looking at a week of no unsupervised yard time, 2 weeks? Anyone know how long it takes lime to work in?

K9POPPY 03-21-2014 02:21 PM

With lime in farming we usually used 3 types. 1) pelleted, 2) ground, and 3) granular. All three can take up to a month or more to dissolve, depending on how much moisture you get, although ground lime dissolves the quickest, (usually after the first hard rain of 1/2 inch or more) Pelleted is meant to dissolve slowly or be time released. Granular is middle ground between the others-
Like I said earlier, depends on how much moisture you get- don't know about how harmful lime is, but do know if they lick it off their(especially the ground lime) paws it will probably upset their stomachs- hope this helps

JakodaCD OA 03-21-2014 02:36 PM

my neighbor with dogs used to lime her kennels with the granular. Right before a good soaking rain, if I remember correctly she'd keep them off it a couple days, but I honestly have no idea if it's poisonous/harmful or how long..

Blanketback 03-21-2014 02:42 PM

I'm no help, but a quick look through google says that the powder (but you're not using it) is hazardous if inhaled. Also it might irritate skin (pads) so people are rinsing their dogs' feet after walking on it. Or keeping them off it until it's seeped into the ground - and the pellets take longer than the powder, lol... I've given up on grass myself :D I'm appreciating the pretty earthen pathways that make a lovely contrast to whatever grass is left. And talking encouragingly to clover seed, lol.

K9POPPY 03-21-2014 02:52 PM

Just to be sure I looked it up, and if it's hydrated lime, it IS NOT supposed to be poisonous to animals, but I do know if it's fast-acting limestone, it can burn- hope this helps, best to get your local extension service to sample your soil (it may not even need lime) Bob :)

SunCzarina 03-21-2014 05:03 PM

Not sure if it's hydrated, have to look at the bag. If it's going to take a month for the pellets to melt, I should probably wait and put them down when I seed. Too early to seed.

I could get it tested but it's probably going to come back same as as the samples I had done last year for a couple garden club projects - 5.6. Nature of the place, it's a seaside neighborhood where all the evergreens are tremendous, blueberries don't need acid and perennials that are supposed to be red turn pink or orange.