German Shepherds Forum banner

Does he have HD?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  David Taggart 
#1 ·
So I was looking at the symptoms of HD in dogs. I noticed that "bunny hopping" was one of them. So that was no big deal until i realized that Rosco "bunny hops" when he runs. He doesn't look like he's in pain but he whines a lot. I'm guessing it's either because we brought him home just 3 days ago or because he is teething (he's 3 1/2 months old). But he walks funny too. He's really clumsy when he's walking around. Is this because his bones are still developing? And when I lightly push down on his rear he sits down easily. I heard that was also a symptom of HD? Both his parents are ASL. I know they have a different way of running and walking. So is this normal for him? Should i b e concerned?
BTW he has a guarantee on his hips and elbows.

#2 ·
The only way to know if a dog has HD is xrays. And yes they can develop HD as a puppy.
However, I imagine that yours is a typical 14 week old puppy who has too big feet, clumsy body and is just in the puppy growth. He probably has a lot of angulation in the rear, which also makes babies clumsy . Lots of legs to grow into.

#4 ·
Clumsiness as a pup, especially an ASL, have nothing to do with HD and everything to do with structure! I have seen GSD pups at AKC shows whose back legs looked like egg beaters and wondered how they could walk...but then the same dog months later went much better....this style of dog just moves differently and as a puppy that extreme angulation just makes their movement look bad. Has nothing to do with HD, some of the really angulated dogs I have seen have OFA Good hips.

I would not worry about HD right now, let the pup grow up, he will get in better control of his body as he gets older.

Lee

#6 ·
Hello, try not to worry too much about your pup. They can be so clumsy and hop around on occasion. I wouldn't advise pushing down on his rear, though, the hips are developing and you don't want to put too much stress on the hip joint. Just try to enjoy without worrying about HD, you can always X-ray when the dog is older, have fun with the pup! :)Bob

#7 ·
I don't think any "type" is more prone to HD than another....just that so many people look at that angulation and movement and - not really understanding WHAT HD actually is! - assume that the dog has HD....

HD is the structure of the hip joint basically. Not the angulation or the movement....a good dog/horse person can sometimes see movement that is suspect - but it is much more subtle than what you are seeing.

Don't worry about it too much - if the pup comes from OFA certified breeding stock, your chances are better that the hips will be fine...no guarantees, but dice are loaded for better hips.

Lee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.