German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Stem Cells - Degenerative Myelopathy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/426386-stem-cells-degenerative-myelopathy.html)

jamesthompson1025 03-18-2014 11:16 PM

Stem Cells - Degenerative Myelopathy

1 Attachment(s)
I have read many differing opinions about whether or not stem cells can be effective in treating Degenerative Myelopathy in dogs and I want share my findings as they become available. I have a 8 year old female German shepherd named Princess who has been suffering from DM for approximately 4-5 months. Over the past 30 days Princess has been under the care of Dr. Mike Smith at Clairmont Animal Hospital in Decatur, GA. Princess has undergone various x-rays, an MRI at the UGA vet teaching hospital as well as genetic testing which showed that she is a carrier of the defective gene that causes DM. On Monday 3/24 Princess will return for the surgery to obtain fat cells to be used in synthesizing the stem cells. On Wednesday 3/26 she will be given the first round of stem cell treatment. If anyone would like more information please contact me. Attachment 192346

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

mollymcgee 03-18-2014 11:54 PM

I wish you and Princess all the luck and God bless her.

K9POPPY 03-19-2014 07:24 AM

Best of luck to Princess and hopes for the future- BOB

Shade 03-19-2014 08:05 AM

:fingerscrossed: and paws over here :)

onyx'girl 03-19-2014 09:39 AM

I hope you keep updating her progress here on this thread. I hope the procedure is a success!

Gwenhwyfair 03-19-2014 10:12 AM

Positive thoughts to you and Princess from a fellow Georgian!

I'm curious, as I've heard varying opinions, that the test the to confirm if german shepherds carry the defective gene is/ maybe inaccurate.

Did the folks in the know over at UGA have anything to say about that?

SunCzarina 03-19-2014 11:58 AM

Best of luck to you and Princess. Please keep us updated on her progress. I lost a girl to DM in 2012, Morgan was a wonderful dog and I still miss her deranged wisdom.

Jakesworld 03-19-2014 01:31 PM

I wish Princess all the best. I'm very interested in knowing if stem cell treatment is helpful. I too lost 2 GSDs to DM. They were 11 &12 years. At least they had lived long lives with lots of love. It's still SO Heartbreaking! DM is horrible ! I hope her treatments are successful and give her many more years. Sending prayers your way.

RebelGSD 03-20-2014 12:44 PM

I am wishing you all the best with the treatments. I have seen two dogs that did great after the treatment. Those were bone marrow stem cells. Please keep me updated about the progress. My vet expected improvement after 4 treatments, but I saw improvement after two.

jamesthompson1025 03-29-2014 01:59 PM

Thank you to everyone for your kind words. Princess is recovering from her surgery to remove the needed fat to synthesize the stem cells. She had her first round of treatment on Wednesday 3/26 and she will be going back for round #2 this week. I will keep posting updates.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App