Leg chewing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Leg chewing

My boy Hank has been chewing his paws and fur off his hind legs around the base of his tail and on the front of his "knees". He has been on antibiotics for skin infections 3 times already in his 14 months. His vet says allergies to grass or food (but doesn't seem too concerned) but we haven't seen grass in 5+ months. Hank takes Benadryl to help with itching. And I changed his food to a lamb and rice formula a few months back and saw immediate results, but now he's back at it in full force. I also wonder if this might be an anxiety thing too? Help he's starting to look so shabby.
Heinrik-Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

We are dealing with this, too I think for us, it's a combination of yeast and anxiety. The scratching/chewing starts off innocently enough, but then it turns into a compulsion (at least for our boy.)

Here is what we are doing, and maybe it might help you. Granted, he has a yeast infection, so we switched him to a grain free food with no potatoes or chicken (Canine Caviar Wilderness ALS.) In his food, he gets a probiotic, fish oil, vitamin C, and benadryl. He is getting bathed 1-2x a week with antifungal shampoo (you could certainly skip that.) We also mixed up a solution of organic apple cider vinegar "with the mother" with water and use this as a 'rinse' that we rub into his skin (don't use this on any open wounds.) For open wounds, we use a bit of Vetericyn. We really try to discourage him from itching and chewing. If we catch him doing it, we will distract him and give him a toy or bone to chew on instead. He may have to go into the cone of shame soon

Have you done full allergy testing with him yet or is that the vet's hunch?
Zlata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

Just about every problem like this one starts in the pancreas..

So many times I just write the same idea.

Enzymes ( plant )
Minereral's ( bentonite clay ) ( Animin )
Perhap's (coconut oil )
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrik-Hank View Post
My boy Hank has been chewing his paws and fur off his hind legs around the base of his tail and on the front of his "knees". He has been on antibiotics for skin infections 3 times already in his 14 months. His vet says allergies to grass or food (but doesn't seem too concerned) but we haven't seen grass in 5+ months. Hank takes Benadryl to help with itching. And I changed his food to a lamb and rice formula a few months back and saw immediate results, but now he's back at it in full force. I also wonder if this might be an anxiety thing too? Help he's starting to look so shabby.
My boy struggled with itching too for a good 8 months or so before we finally found out the real culprit! While he was definitely allergic to grass, the major culprit was our carpet!!! The more we vacuum it the less he itches. Now we vaccuum our carpet at least twice a week and steam clean our carpet every 2 months-ish and he stopped itching completely. If your dog is itching a lot, make him wear a cone for a while so his wounds can recover from all the itching. My dog was in a cone like 75% of the time when we were trying to figure out what the heck he was allergic to. I think it also helped it from developing into a habitual itch.
sprklnh2o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.