German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Raw knuckle bones causing problems? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/425658-raw-knuckle-bones-causing-problems.html)

llombardo 03-17-2014 02:56 PM

Raw knuckle bones causing problems?

:help:Yesterday the dogs had knuckle bones and today Midnite cried while trying to poop and Robyn strained enough to have a small amount of blood. I called the vet and they are thinking I should bring them in? I gave Midnite some pumpkin to see if that works to help him. Has anyone ever experienced this with raw knuckle bones:help:

Mary Beth 03-17-2014 10:32 PM

Hopefully the pumpkin will help. Yes, I can understand why the vet would want to see them - better safe than sorry.

Lauri & The Gang 03-17-2014 10:35 PM

How much of the bone did they consume? Was this their first time with knuckle bones?

Sunflowers 03-17-2014 10:39 PM

179 Attachment(s)
Oh, dear. How much did they eat?
It is a good idea to let them have the knuckle bone for a little bit. As soon as the meat is gone and they begin to eat into the cartilage and bone, it needs to be taken away.

llombardo 03-17-2014 10:41 PM

Not their first time with the bones. I gave them pumpkin at 12:30. I left work early because I was worried about them. I got some bread and gave them the whole loaf. They both pooped normally within a couple hours. Midnites poop was hard balls, so maybe not a bone stuck but to hard to push out? So far they are okay and acting completely normal, but now I am kinda scared to give them the knuckle bones and they love them.

Lauri & The Gang 03-17-2014 10:42 PM

They CAN eat the bone/cartilage - you just need to regulate how much they get in a day.

llombardo 03-17-2014 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflowers (Post 5219450)
Oh, dear. How much did they eat?
It is a good idea to let them have the knuckle bone for a little bit. As soon as the meat is gone and they begin to eat into the cartilage and bone, it needs to be taken away.

I throw out quite a big part of it. Midnite has no problems breaking bones, he has broke a femur bone. I thought he cracked a tooth so he gets those no more.

Sunflowers 03-17-2014 10:46 PM

179 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang (Post 5219490)
They CAN eat the bone/cartilage - you just need to regulate how much they get in a day.

Of course they can.

Harry and Lola 03-17-2014 11:00 PM

Lola will consume an entire cow femur bone if allowed, some dogs are not just satisfied with getting the marrow out and having a reasonable chew, they have to consume the entire thing. Good idea to remove raw bones once the marrow and/or meat has been chewed off

Hector3 03-17-2014 11:59 PM

Straining is a bad sign. It can cause rectal prolapse. You can either feed them a lot of liver or foods that causes runs and hope that will help them pass or bring them into the vet and let them dig out whatever is causing them to strain.