Spaying while in heat? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Spaying while in heat?

My GSD was scheduled to be spayed next Friday. Lo and behold she has come into heat. I have an intact male and do not want an oops litter. I will call the vet tomorrow, of course. Just wondering if anyone has spayed while in heat. I know things are more engorged and bloody at this time and do not want to cause further risk than the surgery itself.

My only other option is to put the kennel in my room when we are at work and shut the door so there is no contact with the male. I hate to kennel her like that for full days.

Thanks.
Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't know any vet who will do an in heat spay. I went through the exact same thing; spay appointment was on a Monday and she went into heat 2 days before.

I'd recommend, if at all possible, to maybe put your male in a boarding kennel for the week your female is in standing heat. If there was anything I would have done differently, that's exactly what I would have done. The week she was in standing heat was miserable. My male wasn't really trying to get after my female, but he whined and cried the whole time along with just being cranky and angsty.

Oh, diapers and doggie wipes will be your best friends. My female just didn't keep herself clean enough, so the diapers kept the stains away and the wipes were to just give her a clean after a diaper change.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2014, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Actually many vets will spay females in heat, shelters do it all the time and so do rescues. Not ideal, but it has to be weighed against an ooops litter. There was a member here whose male needed emergency surgery for a broken penis and the female spay-abort. It was only a moment of attention lapse it took to end up in such a situation.

BTW, in Maryland Falls Road Animal Hospital does spay when the animal is in heat and there is an additional charge for the obvious reason. With rescue animals often it is not known that the animal is pregnant or in heat until the surgery.

Obviously, it is better to avoid spaying an animal in heat.
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you. I will definitely be calling the vet tomorrow to determine the best option. If he is uncomfortable spaying I likely will board him. No use punishing her in a kennel!
Old 03-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Talk to the vet. Yes, there is an increased risk. I would board the male if you decide to wait. It may be 3 weeks though before you can bring him home.

I say board, because a friend has an oops litter when their male GSD, ate through a door and broke the crate the female was in. So, to me it's not worth the possibility.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 03-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

one thing to keep in mind is he may still try to breed her when she comes home so you will still have to keep them separated especially when u r not home
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ugh.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Some vets don't like to do spays on bitches in heat. Everything is more swollen, there is more blood flow to the area, and so the inherent risk is greater. However, it is done all the time on shelter dogs.

When I was a vet tech, I assisted on hundreds if not thousands of spay surgeries, including those on bitches who were in heat or pregnant. It does take a little more time, and heightened precautions, but I never saw any serious complications. If I were in your situation, I would not hesitate to spay. In fact I did have an in-heat spay done on a Pit Bull I was fostering. She was already scheduled for a leg amputation, but they postponed it because she was in heat. No way in heck was I going to foster a Pit Bull in heat, so I called my own vet, who I used to work for. He did the job and there was no problem at all. She had her leg surgery a month or so later, and was up and running on three legs by the second day.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks, I feel better now. Hopefully, the vet will do it. I wanted to neuter the male, but he has been used for breeding and when given to me was told not to neuter in case they wanted to breed him again. My girl is actually one of his daughters. She just had a heat in October or so, right before he came to live with us, so I thought I had more time and wasn't in a rush. Dummy me.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

We do spays all the times with girls in heat. A bit more risk but no different than doing a spay after a c section actually easier Spay and c sections are a mess. The utereus is stretched and very thin. Would rather spay a girl who just came into heat .
wyominggrandma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.