German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   I think I fudged up! 8wk old pup in Parvo house...HELP PLEASE! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/424418-i-think-i-fudged-up-8wk-old-pup-parvo-house-help-please.html)

TheDakotaShow 03-14-2014 09:21 PM

I think I fudged up! 8wk old pup in Parvo house...HELP PLEASE!

Ok, First off let me tell you a little history.

Last May my wife and I picked up a German Shepherd mix from a pup rescue, brought her home and 3 days later she started to get lethargic and throwing up. I took her to the vet and found out she had parvo. Had her on on fluids, antibiotics during the day, and brought her home during the night to try and feed her orally. After about 3 days of going back and forth and the bills adding up. The rescue place told us they would try to save her. We gave them her back and she ended up passing within the next 2 days. Sadly, she got the parvo even before he received her from the local pound.

So fast forward 10 months. I have a buddy of mine who has two GSDs who need homes. I quickly jump on the opportunity to get a pup. 7 Weeks old. Not knowing how long PARVO actually lasts in the area (I was told 7 months!). So once I get her I put her in my den. Just because I have the room in the den.

I do some follow up on Parvo just to be safe because Ive heard it can last up to 5 years! WTF! So ive been debating on keeping her in the den and only carrying her out and not letting her touch the places the other dog has been. Luckily we didnt let the other dog roam free throughout the house. Only in the family/ living room mainly and a few times on the carpet. The only real safe place is in the den. But having this dog a week I know that I CANNOT board her in a den for much longer as she is full of energy and needs to get out.

Before you ask. I have no other place to bring this pup. Im currently working some of my friends to let me board them at their house but that isnt working to well. But imma keep trying.

In the mean time I need to get some stuff done incase I cant find a boarding place. I have done a mixture of 1:30 (bleach/water) cups. In a bucket and am going to wipe down my laminate. Has anyone done this before and will it mess up my floors? ...Any suggestions?

Please only looking for suggestions to help with the parvo around the house. No bashing pls!

Stevenzachsmom 03-14-2014 09:35 PM

You can do a search for Parvo threads. There are quite a few recent ones here. I copied this one for you. http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...o-day-day.html I have no personal experience with parvo. Yes, it does live a very long time and bleaching is important.

BTW, watch your language. It isn't allowed, not even the letters, or substitute words. It doesn't bother me, but I don't want you to get into trouble. Good luck. I hope your pup stays well.

Chip18 03-14-2014 09:58 PM

Generally one year in the ground is a fairly safe rule of thumb. Organic matter is where it can live a very very long time. In the house you have a better chance of eliminating it.

Diluted bleach should be safe? Maybe a Parvo-cide product is safer?? Don't know you might have to chose between your floors or your dog.

It takes about two weeks after the last puppy shot for full immunity. At this point it's a tough call, you can take reasonable precautions now but...yeah.

TheDakotaShow 03-14-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom (Post 5202402)
You can do a search for Parvo threads. There are quite a few recent ones here. I copied this one for you. http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...o-day-day.html I have no personal experience with parvo. Yes, it does live a very long time and bleaching is important.

BTW, watch your language. It isn't allowed, not even the letters, or substitute words. It doesn't bother me, but I don't want you to get into trouble. Good luck. I hope your pup stays well.

Thanks a lot, Will be reading through that thread. Ill watch the language. Hopefully a mod can edit it for me...My bad

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chip18 (Post 5202578)
Generally one year in the ground is a fairly safe rule of thumb. Organic matter is where it can live a very very long time. In the house you have a better chance of eliminating it.

Diluted bleach should be safe? Maybe a Parvo-cide product is safer?? Don't know you might have to chose between your floors or your dog.

It takes about two weeks after the last puppy shot for full immunity. At this point it's a tough call, you can take reasonable precautions now but...yeah.

What type of Parvo-cide products? I was talking to the vet yesterday and they said I can bring the pup to a training class after its second shots. How is that ok? :confused:

shepherdmom 03-14-2014 11:22 PM

"Indoors, virus loses its infectivity within one month; therefore, it should be safe to introduce a new puppy indoors one month after the active infection has ended."

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/the_...e_environ.html

I found this on the internet so FWIW

TheDakotaShow 03-14-2014 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shepherdmom (Post 5203066)
"Indoors, virus loses its infectivity within one month; therefore, it should be safe to introduce a new puppy indoors one month after the active infection has ended."

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/the_...e_environ.html

I found this on the internet so FWIW

I've read this..but not to sure how accurate it is. I wonder if there are actual studies. Not just guesses.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

misslesleedavis1 03-14-2014 11:39 PM

1 to 7 months. its a longed lived virus also bleach solution is effective along with commercial products aiming to kill the virus (they smell better then bleach) apparently parvo commonly lasts longer in the outdoors then in doors ( not sure if that is true or here say) but it is a virus with longevity.

TheDakotaShow 03-15-2014 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misslesleedavis1 (Post 5203170)
1 to 7 months. its a longed lived virus also bleach solution is effective along with commercial products aiming to kill the virus (they smell better then bleach) apparently parvo commonly lasts longer in the outdoors then in doors ( not sure if that is true or here say) but it is a virus with longevity.

Where you get your info from?

Chip18 03-15-2014 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDakotaShow (Post 5203018)
Thanks a lot, Will be reading through that thread. Ill watch the language. Hopefully a mod can edit it for me...My bad

What type of Parvo-cide products? I was talking to the vet yesterday and they said I can bring the pup to a training class after its second shots. How is that ok? :confused:

Yep in organic matter it can last for years. Sun light kills it also.
Parvovirus: Disinfecting the Environment of Parvo

Second shot is better than one, but it's still 50/50. As to the puppy class people do that all the time. Usually first shot and off to school you go! Most of the time it works out fine! I did it in the past because I had no idea my dogs were still 'potentially" at risk! I won't do it in the future.

Sorry I'm not good at yes or no answers! :p

Chip18 03-15-2014 12:26 AM

Here is an example of a Parvocide , I have no experience with them, I heard them on the Parvo threads.

CageAndKennelCleaners.com - Specialty Cleaning Products for Animal Care Facilities