Skin problem, white powdery ears - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2014, 03:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Skin problem, white powdery ears

Hi everyone, haven't been here in a while. For 3 weeks now my dog has itchy skin. She is two years old, and is on Blue Buffelo, she has been on it all her life, her poop is good, no vomiting. She eats well and plays like nothing bothers her. She has red spots on hear ears and white powdery substance on the tip of her ears, if you rub it with your fingers the powder will come off. She is scratching herself a lot, all over the body.she seems to have dry skin thats what the vet said anyway... I took her to the vet last week and they think it could be ear mites. Considering that 75% of the time earmites are not detected when testing, the vet prescribed Revolution-topical treatment. It takes 6 weeks for the treated to be completed. If it doesn't help the vet wants to start allergy testing. I remember my dog having similar problem (except no powdery substance on her ears) last spring, and it went away on its own. My question is what to do in the meantime? I left the vet feeling like my dog got no help and she is in the same condition as she was last week. If I go back to the vet they will just tell me to finish the treatment. How can I help her?
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Whenever we had ear mites in the past it was black granular stuff that had blood in it (which you would see when you cleaned it with an alcohols wipe). With flea control I have not dealt with ear mites for years (I think they hitchhike in on fleas). I figure it had to be right because they always cleared with insecticidal drops in the ear.

With the white stuff, I wonder about yeast? It goes with allergies. Honestly don't know.....

Call BB. Maybe they changed an ingredient in the lot that you have? Springtime is coming-maybe a seasonal allergy? I think allergies often manifest between 2 and 3 years old.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Is there anything I can get from petsmart that might soothe her skin?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 03-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
Is there anything I can get from petsmart that might soothe her skin?

Bath her with an herbal shampoo (NO Chemicals) that has Tea Tree oil or Neem Oil in it but not does not contain Oatmeal just in case she is sensitive to grains. Then make a 50/50 mix of Apple Cider Vinegar and Non Chlorinated water to rinse her with. Work this ACV mix into small areas of her coat eventually covering her whole body rubbing into her skin including legs. Be careful of eyes. Leave this ACV/Water mix on her body and let her drip dry.....don't rinse off. You can also take the ACV/Water mix and wipe out her ears several times per day. Apple Cider Vinegar is anti-viral, anti-fungus, so it would help to kill the mites or yeast in her ears.
You can use Apple Cider Vinegar from the grocery store but Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is better as it is not refined and has more medicinal properties.

There Essential Oils that can help her ears if you are interested.

I would also change to a high quality Non-Grain food such as Fromms, Acana, or Nature's Variety (NOT Natures Recipe). You can purchase Natures Variety at Petsmart.

Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

On my way to the vet's office to pick up a steroid prescription. The vet didn't suggest anything else...

Old 03-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
On my way to the vet's office to pick up a steroid prescription. The vet didn't suggest anything else...

Terrific...suppress the immune system and make the problem worse.

The hamster wheel of vet care. Suppose they'll throw in an abx. "just in case" of secondary bacterial infection.

Get online and order some SeaVIVE (bovine colostrum and SeaCure).

Rub some organic coconut oil into the ear tips and swab some in the canal with a soft cloth - this will kill yeasty ears.

And what Mom's said
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
Bath her with an herbal shampoo (NO Chemicals) that has Tea Tree oil or Neem Oil in it but not does not contain Oatmeal just in case she is sensitive to grains.
Just so you know, "herbal" shampoos contain chemicals. Everything is a chemical. Water is a chemical. Tea Tree and Neem oil are loaded with chemical compounds. Just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it's safe. Tea Tree and Neem oil may be helpful for some itchy skin conditions, however.

So I would say, bathe the dog with a gentle, mild, hypoallergenic shampoo that will not strip the oil out of the skin. Earthbath is a good line and readily available at pet supply stores. The vinegar rinse is a good idea as well. If the skin is dry and flaky, you can also do a hot oil rinse by mixing a tablespoon of coconut or jojoba oil in a gallon of hot tap water; mix well, pour over the dog, and let dry without rinsing. Even better would be a teaspoon of lanolin oil to the gallon of water, but lanolin oil can be hard to find.

If it's allergies, Benadryl can help. Ask your vet for the dosage, and try to avoid using steroids unless she's tearing herself raw from the itching.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

tea tree can be very toxic to pets and i would hesitate to use it
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2014, 12:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Skin problem, white powdery ears

Update: I am holding off on the steroid, I have the prescription if natural remedies don't help her. I just applied coconut oil to her fur and I put extra on the tips of her ears. I will wait a few days and see if it helps. I also bought her a shampoo for very sensitive skin she will not be bathed for a while though. Skin problem, white powdery ears-imageuploadedbypg-free1394856644.437280.jpgSkin problem, white powdery ears-imageuploadedbypg-free1394856674.593031.jpgSkin problem, white powdery ears-imageuploadedbypg-free1394856703.526552.jpg

Last edited by julie87; 03-15-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.