German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Skin problem, white powdery ears (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/424170-skin-problem-white-powdery-ears.html)

julie87 03-14-2014 03:49 AM

Skin problem, white powdery ears

Hi everyone, haven't been here in a while. For 3 weeks now my dog has itchy skin. She is two years old, and is on Blue Buffelo, she has been on it all her life, her poop is good, no vomiting. She eats well and plays like nothing bothers her. She has red spots on hear ears and white powdery substance on the tip of her ears, if you rub it with your fingers the powder will come off. She is scratching herself a lot, all over the body.she seems to have dry skin thats what the vet said anyway... I took her to the vet last week and they think it could be ear mites. Considering that 75% of the time earmites are not detected when testing, the vet prescribed Revolution-topical treatment. It takes 6 weeks for the treated to be completed. If it doesn't help the vet wants to start allergy testing. I remember my dog having similar problem (except no powdery substance on her ears) last spring, and it went away on its own. My question is what to do in the meantime? I left the vet feeling like my dog got no help and she is in the same condition as she was last week. If I go back to the vet they will just tell me to finish the treatment. How can I help her?

jocoyn 03-14-2014 07:24 AM

Whenever we had ear mites in the past it was black granular stuff that had blood in it (which you would see when you cleaned it with an alcohols wipe). With flea control I have not dealt with ear mites for years (I think they hitchhike in on fleas). I figure it had to be right because they always cleared with insecticidal drops in the ear.

With the white stuff, I wonder about yeast? It goes with allergies. Honestly don't know.....

Call BB. Maybe they changed an ingredient in the lot that you have? Springtime is coming-maybe a seasonal allergy? I think allergies often manifest between 2 and 3 years old.

julie87 03-14-2014 04:34 PM

Is there anything I can get from petsmart that might soothe her skin?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Momto2GSDs 03-14-2014 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julie87 (Post 5201098)
Is there anything I can get from petsmart that might soothe her skin?

Bath her with an herbal shampoo (NO Chemicals) that has Tea Tree oil or Neem Oil in it but not does not contain Oatmeal just in case she is sensitive to grains. Then make a 50/50 mix of Apple Cider Vinegar and Non Chlorinated water to rinse her with. Work this ACV mix into small areas of her coat eventually covering her whole body rubbing into her skin including legs. Be careful of eyes. Leave this ACV/Water mix on her body and let her drip dry.....don't rinse off. You can also take the ACV/Water mix and wipe out her ears several times per day. Apple Cider Vinegar is anti-viral, anti-fungus, so it would help to kill the mites or yeast in her ears.
You can use Apple Cider Vinegar from the grocery store but Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is better as it is not refined and has more medicinal properties.

There Essential Oils that can help her ears if you are interested.

I would also change to a high quality Non-Grain food such as Fromms, Acana, or Nature's Variety (NOT Natures Recipe). You can purchase Natures Variety at Petsmart.

Moms:)

julie87 03-14-2014 06:38 PM

On my way to the vet's office to pick up a steroid prescription. The vet didn't suggest anything else...

GatorBytes 03-14-2014 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julie87 (Post 5201730)
On my way to the vet's office to pick up a steroid prescription. The vet didn't suggest anything else...

Terrific:rolleyes:...suppress the immune system and make the problem worse.

The hamster wheel of vet care. Suppose they'll throw in an abx. "just in case" of secondary bacterial infection.

Get online and order some SeaVIVE (bovine colostrum and SeaCure).

Rub some organic coconut oil into the ear tips and swab some in the canal with a soft cloth - this will kill yeasty ears.

And what Mom's said:)

Freestep 03-14-2014 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs (Post 5201506)
Bath her with an herbal shampoo (NO Chemicals) that has Tea Tree oil or Neem Oil in it but not does not contain Oatmeal just in case she is sensitive to grains.

Just so you know, "herbal" shampoos contain chemicals. Everything is a chemical. Water is a chemical. Tea Tree and Neem oil are loaded with chemical compounds. Just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it's safe. Tea Tree and Neem oil may be helpful for some itchy skin conditions, however.

So I would say, bathe the dog with a gentle, mild, hypoallergenic shampoo that will not strip the oil out of the skin. Earthbath is a good line and readily available at pet supply stores. The vinegar rinse is a good idea as well. If the skin is dry and flaky, you can also do a hot oil rinse by mixing a tablespoon of coconut or jojoba oil in a gallon of hot tap water; mix well, pour over the dog, and let dry without rinsing. Even better would be a teaspoon of lanolin oil to the gallon of water, but lanolin oil can be hard to find.

If it's allergies, Benadryl can help. Ask your vet for the dosage, and try to avoid using steroids unless she's tearing herself raw from the itching.

my boy diesel 03-14-2014 09:05 PM

tea tree can be very toxic to pets and i would hesitate to use it

julie87 03-15-2014 12:11 AM

Skin problem, white powdery ears

3 Attachment(s)
Update: I am holding off on the steroid, I have the prescription if natural remedies don't help her. I just applied coconut oil to her fur and I put extra on the tips of her ears. I will wait a few days and see if it helps. I also bought her a shampoo for very sensitive skin she will not be bathed for a while though. Attachment 191106Attachment 191114Attachment 191122