German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Well I got bad news (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/423002-well-i-got-bad-news.html)

Nikitta 03-11-2014 11:01 PM

Well I got bad news

I have a 2 and half year old female, Jasira. I took her in to get her OFA rating. The vet called. They were notified that they couldn't rate her because they found she has mild hip dysplasia. I was shocked. I paid a lot of money for her with a guarantee. Guess what? It ran out. If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all. She's not showing signs of it but if I ever wanted to breed her, that idea is out. Unbelievable. I'm sick.

trcy 03-11-2014 11:06 PM

dis you see the xrays or get a copy of them? Sometimes the positioning is bad and it makes the hips look bad. Did they put her under for the xrays? I've heard if the no box is checked they get rated lower. I don't have first hand experience with the last one, but I've heard it from a few people.

Nikitta 03-11-2014 11:09 PM

Yes they put her under to get the xrays. It was sent in and the board of vets that rate the dogs notified my vet and they called me. I haven't gotten anything from them personally yet but it's coming

Shaolin 03-11-2014 11:10 PM

I wouldn't stress about it just yet. They are still sending the films to the OFA, right? My vet did films on Finn and said he had mild/moderate hip/elbow dysplasia, but the official report from the OFA came back excellent/good.

Most regular vets are crap at reading OFA films...and that was my vet who admitted that. Wait until the official report comes out.

Good luck.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Nikitta 03-11-2014 11:58 PM

No it was the OFA who stated she has it and sent it back to my vet.

middleofnowhere 03-12-2014 01:43 AM

OK it's disappointing and upsetting. However, my dog with a bad hip and a bad elbow lived an active life to about 14 1/2. (I was majorly upset when I found out.)

I'd contact the breeder anyway with the results. They need to know. It might be close enough to the guarantee that they will choose to honor it, but they need to know regardless. BTW if you are training her, know that dogs can have rotten hips and have them not bother the dog though most of their lives. Other dogs, not so lucky.

gsdsar 03-12-2014 06:50 AM

You should get a report from OFA. Not the vet. And OFA doesn't call. It's a piece of paper.

Let the breeder know. They may honor the guarantee.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

jocoyn 03-12-2014 07:12 AM

I know it is disappointing. But it could be a lot worse.

Does your warranty specify that the hips will pass OFA with fair or better or that the dog does not have crippling dysplasia? Big difference. Quality of life may not be impacted. Breeding, well hips are always a bit of a gamble when you get a puppy.

blackshep 03-12-2014 07:38 AM

My dog's breeder had a female (not used for breeding) who was her SAR partner at Ground Zero on 9/11, and apparently she had terrible hips. The team vet said if she'd known they were that bad, she'd never have let the dog on the team, but she wasn't lame at all, so it doesn't mean the end of things for your dog.

My dog has a bad hip, it's pretty depressing, I agree. Not easy news to get.

Definitely tell your breeder though, when you get the official results back from OFA.