German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Day five of GSD not going #2? to health issues!!!!! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/421337-day-five-gsd-not-going-2-health-issues.html)

LokiHiddleston 03-08-2014 04:15 PM

Day five of GSD not going #2? to health issues!!!!!

Hello all,
I'm not sure if this is the proper place for this, but I just decided on this.

I want to give a small thanks for taking the time and coming to this form topic. Now onto the problem.
We moved about a week ago, to a new part of town. My german shepherd/rottie mix was a bit anxious about the move, but she got over the scariness of it. I noticed while walking her in the front patch of grass (it's fairly large; a city bus can comfortably park in it) and she'll be fine with urinating. It doesn't take very long to do #1. But our problem is with #2. I walk her on her leash for a good half an hour to an hour around the same area of grass, even venturing to other parts of the condominiums. But she just will not go. I know she has to because the way she walks, partially begins to squat, but then stands back up and continues walking. I thought at first it was just the excitement between all the new smells and a lot more cats, but it's been a week now and she still won't go.

Any advice, hints, or tips on how I can make her go somehow? Today marks day five for not going. I don't want her to get way backed up and cause something bad.

Thanks!!

Nigel 03-08-2014 04:19 PM

That's too long long already, at least mine have never gone more than a day, I'd take her to the vet.

Zeeva 03-08-2014 04:19 PM

5 days doesn't sound like anxiety toward going #2. It sounds like a medical problem, especially if she is trying to go but can't. Vet time...?

Do you think she has gone #2 somewhere or at sometime that you haven't noticed? Do you think she ate something that could've caused a blockage?

This actually sounds pretty serious...

SuperG 03-08-2014 04:36 PM

5 days without taking a dump sounds too long to me as well....perhaps a vet visit is in order....I might have tried some pumpkin as I believe it works for both diarrhea and constipation.

Hope all is well with your pooch and it is nothing of any concern.

SuperG

David Taggart 03-08-2014 04:51 PM

It could be just a result of cold weather and pain (does she lick herself?), but it could be her bladder problem.
You can help her by walking with her longer and feeding fat free food, but it definitely will be better to check with the vet first. If I were you, I'd ask for ultrasound to detect if the's anything unusual with qualities of tissues.

carmspack 03-08-2014 04:55 PM

advice you to go visit the vet . She may have held on and now you have , pardon the pun , a back log . Compaction with fecal material collecting in a ball .

castor oil , magnesium salts (Epsom) , are laxative -- BUT you have to be very careful

slippery elm powder is safe and effective , but you might have quite a mass that is hard to pass and you don't want to tear rectal tissue and get fissures or an infection that spreads --- GO to the VET

LokiHiddleston 03-08-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeeva (Post 5158641)
5 days doesn't sound like anxiety toward going #2. It sounds like a medical problem, especially if she is trying to go but can't. Vet time...?

Do you think she has gone #2 somewhere or at sometime that you haven't noticed? Do you think she ate something that could've caused a blockage?

This actually sounds pretty serious...

I don't think she ate anything that could have caused a blockage. She just had dental work a few days ago, and I originally thought it was because of that or the medicine they prescribed her. But the paperwork said it wasn't a side effect. She went once 5 days ago, but since then, nothing. I don't know what to do. We can't afford a vet right now.

carmspack 03-08-2014 05:03 PM

you can't go on without a bowel movement for that long --

are you sure the dog is defecating elsewhere and consuming it ?

if the dog is under anaesthetic this can slow down digestion, slow down motility ---

seriously this needs to be looked after

mego 03-08-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LokiHiddleston (Post 5158841)
I don't think she ate anything that could have caused a blockage. She just had dental work a few days ago, and I originally thought it was because of that or the medicine they prescribed her. But the paperwork said it wasn't a side effect. She went once 5 days ago, but since then, nothing. I don't know what to do. We can't afford a vet right now.

find care credit or something, borrow from someone.
5 days with no #2 sounds very serious and it's not worth the risk if she stays blocked up and then her intestine ruptures or waste stays in the stomach and causes massive infections

LokiHiddleston 03-08-2014 05:18 PM

UPDATE

Thank you everyone for your input. My mom is currently looking into when we can get her into the vet. I'll try and keep you guys updated as much as I can. I know it's a bad thing to not pass a bowel in five days and that's why I resorted to find you guys. Thank you again!

-Charlie