German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Ouch, cut the quick (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/420289-ouch-cut-quick.html)

wolfy dog 03-06-2014 01:56 PM

Ouch, cut the quick

Feel so guilty. :headbang:
The brief bleeding stopped but is it safe to go out walking? Am worried that it opens up again and gets infected. Any advice appreciated.

Blanketback 03-06-2014 02:00 PM

Do they put down salt where you are? I see snow in your avitar, so I'm wondering: if that's the case, wouldn't it sting?

wolfy dog 03-06-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blanketback (Post 5146265)
Do they put down salt where you are? I see snow in your avitar, so I'm wondering: if that's the case, wouldn't it sting?

No snow, no salt, just rain and mud.

Bequavious 03-06-2014 02:08 PM

It's ok I think that happens to most people at least once. I packed mine with talcum powder and she was fine, though I made sure to barely cut off any on the next session and use lots of kibble because I was really worried about her becoming a pain to trim. As for walking, I'd just give it a go. If she seems to be feeling any pain you can always go home, but my girl was fine once she stopped bleeding.

Blanketback 03-06-2014 02:13 PM

I think you're fine too. I know it sucks to do it, but my dogs still run around afterwards like nothing happened.

Soundguy 03-06-2014 02:15 PM

I've done it a couple of times over the years. It's never led to anything but guilt. Now I ere on the side of longer nails.

Mister C 03-06-2014 02:21 PM

Been there, cut that quick. I recommend a styptic pencil to stop any bleeding. Works like a charm on me and my dog but I do have separate pencils for human and canine use since a little blood may be left behind on the pencil.

As for walking I would start with a short one and monitor for any discomfort. Check the pups foot after a short walk and if ok then it's probably fine.

wolfy dog 03-06-2014 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundguy (Post 5146441)
Now I ere on the side of longer nails.

Yeah, he moved his foot just as I cut. It is the first time it happened ever since having dogs. From on only the Dremel. Just tried to cut of the tip first.

DJEtzel 03-06-2014 02:54 PM

I trim nails professionally and still get one once in a blue moon. I've never seen the dirt/outside infect anything. Keep in mind you can quick them with the dremel as well. ;)

If I quick one of my dogs by chance I send them straight outside and throw a ball. The pressure of them running stops the bleeding for sure.

Athena'sMom 03-06-2014 03:06 PM

I did the same thing to my girl yesterday and she went out and played fetch like nothing ever happened. I think it makes us feel worse than our pooch!!