Odd bloat-like symptoms, urgent - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Odd bloat-like symptoms, urgent

You're the first group I thought of to ask, I'm hoping you can provide insight as you always have had in the past.

After a typical meal tonight (preceded by licking the last traces of peanut butter from a jar), Renji suddenly became very distressed, almost like he was terrified of something. Tried to take him out a couple times and outside he was fine, but inside this would repeat. Finally took him out on a walk. He was extremely agitated as in darting this way and that. Finally, he had a small bowel movement, very soft but not diarrhea and no blood, but after that, HE COULD NOT WALK. Just stood there. Seemed to try to move his rear legs, but couldn't. He didn't stumble or fall, just appeared otherwise "frozen."

We took turns carrying him back and while he is normally good about being carried, he will make it clear when he is ready to be put down. It was like carrying a sack of potatoes. Quite scary.

I get him home and call the ER vet, of course they say to come in. Long story short, we never had good luck with going to the ER vet for bloat. They pump him, yell at me for feeding raw, and off we go. The best thing we did was a prophylactic gastropexy and for YEARS we didn't have a single issue.

Renji is now curled up on the floor, sleeping as though nothing happened. Mind you, all this is in a matter of maybe a half hour since we had to carry him back.

His normal bloat symptoms are licking the air, licking the carpet, and acting agitated but nowhere near to this level. He did not display ANY licking behavior. Gums appear normal. I really don't think this is bloat. Every single time he has bloated in the past (many times), the same symptoms appear. Stomach was a little tight but not quite tight enough.

Of course, if Renji was still freaking out or unable to move, this post wouldn't be happening because we'd be off to the ER vet. But now he is snoozing comfortably. Gums look normal. Before finally laying down now, he was moving normally again.

Any ideas? Obviously we're going to see his usual vet during normal hours but I don't want to rush him to the ER vet for a horrendous case of painful gas. We've all had gas that made us want to not move. But for anyone who has seen these symptoms and know them to be signs of something darker, please do share. Thanks for any and all input.

Training @ The Canine Center - St Cloud, FL
"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
DianaM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Did you give him gas x?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Not this time, no. He had been passing gas as he normally does (burps).

He is in the living room with us, curled up and resting. Doesn't appear perfect, mind you, but did try to initiate play a few minutes ago. I'm taking him into our vet tomorrow regardless.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
Old 03-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Stupid question here, can he be allergic to peanuts? I am not sure what a toxic response to that allergy might be, but I don't know, his being unable to move, almost sounds a bit seizure like.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No peanut allergy. He's had plenty of peanut butter from jars, kongs, and spoons. Well, I guess it could happen anytime, right? No swelling, no hives, didn't seem dysfunctional in the front, just didn't want to or couldn't move his rear legs. He had peanut butter a few days ago with no trouble. Today's meal was about a half pound of pork butt, no skin, with his usual supplements. Nothing new.

He is laying here grooming himself. Nose was a little warm earlier but seems to be cooling.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How is he urinating? It could be kidney stones. "just throwing that out there for a possibility"
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Taking him in tomorrow sounds reasonable.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Urinating normally, at least it seems so. Just peed a minute ago and when we were out on the walk, he wanted to mark. That's a good thing to investigate, though.

Looks like we're settled in for the night. Time to get some sleep. I'll post an update tomorrow. Thanks, everyone.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Diana: My Female Falon had these type of episodes start when she was around 5. Wildly licking the air, darting around, eating grass like crazy. At one point she ate 1/2 skirt. I immediate thought bloat the er vet treated as bloat (no stomach twisting). This repeated about 10 or so times. We did the tacking as well. She had the same symptoms after she was tacked and I took her back again. When they would xray her stomach she would have undigested food in her stomach (even hours after it should have been digested, but not a lot of air. I had switched to raw in the middle of all this. The episodes were less often on the raw but not 100% gone. I lost Falon in July at 10 years old to histiocarcoma. A few months ago I was reading a post on Facebook about someones gsd doing the air licking, eating grass and darting around. They had a video of the dog acting this way as well. Looked just like what Falon would do. One of the posters replied that their dog did the same thing and they had spent $1,000's at the er treating the dog for bloat. Turned out her dog had acid reflux. I think she treated with Pepcid as a preventative and her dog never had another episode. I hope it turns out to be an easy fix and that your dog is ok.

Felice vom Amulree, SchI, TRII, CD, RA, CGC, TDI
Andi Bojovnik "Brenna" Bh
Finnegan von der Zahnburg
RIP Duchess Liberty of Bayberry, CD, RE, CGC, TDI
RIP Liberty's Favorite Falon, CGC, TDI
RIP Moriarity's Renegade of Orchard Court "Reno"
Renofan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 06:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thanks, Cheryl, great idea with the Pepcid. We know he does bloat, but wouldn't be surprised about additional acid issues. Adding it to the list of things to discuss.

Renji is still alive and appears well this morning. Woke up at 2am to little popping noises and noticed he was wallowing in a happy little fart cloud. At least he is passing gas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.