German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Females in heat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/419729-females-heat.html)

stmcfred 03-05-2014 09:53 AM

Females in heat
 
Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but I've never had a female dog and my male dog was neutered early. Lola isn't in heat and I think I have some time still (She's 6 months old). I had originally planned to have her spayed on Feb. 27th, but I cancelled the appointment because I want to wait longer.

Anyhow, I have had been around cats in heat and it was by far the most annoying thing ever.

So do dogs and cats act the same when they are in heat? Are they equally annoying for those who have experienced both?

thanks!

sehrgutcsg 03-05-2014 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stmcfred (Post 5139033)
Are they equally annoying for those who have experienced both? thanks!

Not certain of the question ?

I think you made the correct decision to wait.

Do you wish your dog to be on hormone replacements her entire life or be overweight ?

She is still a teenager, right ?

I will not spay until adulthood.. Sorry, a 13 year old girl with no reproductive organs is a mess..

Address and elaborate on annoying >

my boy diesel 03-05-2014 10:08 AM

dogs who have been spayed do not need hormone replacement for gosh sake
and they do not have to be overweight! that is a feeding issue
all my females have been spayed
none are on hormones (LOL) and one is 12 yrs, spayed at 6mos. old, she has no urinary issues or anything
none of my altered pets are overweight

i had one years ago spayed at 6 years who had urinary incontinence so early spay isnt necessarily a cause of urinary issues or any other issues for that matter

shepherdmom 03-05-2014 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stmcfred (Post 5139033)

anyhow, i have had been around cats in heat and it was by far the most annoying thing ever.

So do dogs and cats act the same when they are in heat? Are they equally annoying for those who have experienced both?

Thanks!

imo, yes!

my boy diesel 03-05-2014 10:12 AM

oh to answer your question yes they can be although they dont yowl like cats do
she will try to get your neutered male to breed with her
every male dog in 5 mile radius will be on your door step
you cannot let her go outside alone
leashed walks even if your yard is fenced
some girls are very messy during heats as well

yes it is a pain in the patootie for lack of a better word!

stmcfred 03-05-2014 10:14 AM

Not certain of the question ?

Is a cat and dog in heat similar? I know with the cats they were constantly meowing and rubbing up against us. Now, I know dogs don't meow but do they bark or whine all day? Should I expect similar behavior from my dog?

I think you made the correct decision to wait.
Thanks, me too.

Do you wish your dog to be on hormone replacements her entire life or be overweight ?

I'm still going to get her spayed. But I will wait till she's older. I'm not sure every spayed dog goes on hormone replacements.

She is still a teenager, right ?

She's 6 months old right now

stmcfred 03-05-2014 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my boy diesel (Post 5139105)
dogs who have been spayed do not need hormone replacement for gosh sake
and they do not have to be overweight! that is a feeding issue
all my females have been spayed
none are on hormones (LOL) and one is 12 yrs, spayed at 6mos. old, she has no urinary issues or anything
none of my altered pets are overweight

i had one years ago spayed at 6 years who had urinary incontinence so early spay isnt necessarily a cause of urinary issues or any other issues for that matter


Thank you. I've never heard of dogs being on replacement hormones, but then I'm new to the whole female dog thing.

stmcfred 03-05-2014 10:19 AM

That's what I was afraid of. I'm sure I can handle it at least once. My husband may have a different say though. Our original plan was to spay before the first heat, but after reading I think going through at least one would be best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shepherdmom (Post 5139121)
imo, yes!


my boy diesel 03-05-2014 10:20 AM

later on in life many dogs get urinary incontinence
i am talking 11-12yrs
usually do not see it in young dogs spayed or not
in some of those cases hormones may help
i didnt think they did much in my dogs case
and there are apparently other new meds more effective

things to think about are
can other dogs get to your dog while she is in heat? jump fence dig etc?
dogs are very resourceful when it comes to reproduction :)

stmcfred 03-05-2014 10:23 AM

Thank you.

We do have an unfenced yard out in the country so I typically just let her out without a leash. I do know that when she is in heat I can't (and wouldn't!). I will be out with her at all times.

I plan on getting those doggy diapers and get her use to them before she goes in heat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by my boy diesel (Post 5139161)
oh to answer your question yes they can be although they dont yowl like cats do
she will try to get your neutered male to breed with her
every male dog in 5 mile radius will be on your door step
you cannot let her go outside alone
leashed walks even if your yard is fenced
some girls are very messy during heats as well

yes it is a pain in the patootie for lack of a better word!



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2