German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Managing Zelda's HD Update :) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/419569-managing-zeldas-hd-update.html)

VTGirlT 03-04-2014 08:37 PM

Managing Zelda's HD Update :)

So a while ago my Vet and I talked about what we could do with Zelda and her hips.

Although not the most satisfactory discussion, I left to home with a little hope for the future. After thinking about it, I thought I wanted to try something that was suggested to me, to go homeopathic route. So I told my Vet this, and although with hesitation he said he would find me something else, I wanted to trust my Vet with this to see what he would choose. He got me Traumeel, which was great as that was suggested by several people and I've read good things about it. After having her on it for over a month or so, I can not believe the difference.
Last week and today, Zelda and I went on a dirt road, this road is where she would be able to run for a few minutes (literally..) than lay down, afterwards she would have bad recovery.. very slow) Last week and today, I walked 1.5 miles on this road, and she on her 50 foot leash. The whole time she was running, prancing, trotting, walking, running more and more, full out burst sprinting, following scents, etc! Last week she laid down once the whole 1.5 miles and today non sitting or laying down at all, i cant even believe it. She was only a little bit sore after the initial running, but it hasn't effected her at all, so it was a quick recovery after that.
This is just super amazing, and I'm trying to preserve her hips as best i can, as she is still such a young chik-a-dee! But, i love to see her be a dog and she has so much FUN! Following tracks running through big farm fields and just being free.
The only thing that has changed is the Traumeel, so i truly believe this is what has been helping her.. Just to be on the for sure side, in a few months i might take her off it for a couple months to see the difference, and than put her back on it and see from there.
I'm so glad of the choice from doing Truameel over carprophen long term, it feels so much safer and it seems to be working better than the dosage she was on for carprophen anyways..
I am now looking into Zeel, should i start that now?

:gsdhead::toasting:

JakodaCD OA 03-05-2014 07:58 AM

I take traumeel myself, for arthritis and it does help:)

I have found when I gave it to my arthritic dog, if I missed a dose, I did notice a difference so I don't think experimenting in stopping it for a month, is necessary, you might see a difference if you didn't give it to her in a coupledays.

I haven't tried the zeel, not sure if you can or should combine the two, but others may know.

I have to find the link to this natural stuff, my cousin has been giving her corgi, who is in 'wheels', had no back leg function, the dog is amazingly now moving her legs!!!!

I'll get back t you on that.

Glad she is feeling better!

Msmaria 03-05-2014 09:48 AM

Im so glad she is doing better. Think I may try some myself for Dex.

VTGirlT 03-05-2014 06:14 PM

Hey Jakoda, i would love to know more natural remedies that i can try with her :)

I might have to try some more natural things for myself too! That is awesome it worked for you, i will defiantly try it myself when i need it (hopefully not for a while! lol!) i guess my Vet tried it for himself and said it didn't work lol

Thanks so much! :)

Yes you should Msmaria! Always worth a try and its pretty inexpensive, so if it doesn't work for Dex than at least you ruled it out. :) I use the drops and im buying more on amazon for under $12 and it lasts a while :D

Msmaria 03-06-2014 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA (Post 5138569)
I take traumeel myself, for arthritis and it does help:)

I have found when I gave it to my arthritic dog, if I missed a dose, I did notice a difference so I don't think experimenting in stopping it for a month, is necessary, you might see a difference if you didn't give it to her in a coupledays.

I haven't tried the zeel, not sure if you can or should combine the two, but others may know.

I have to find the link to this natural stuff, my cousin has been giving her corgi, who is in 'wheels', had no back leg function, the dog is amazingly now moving her legs!!!!

I'll get back t you on that.

Glad she is feeling better!

Please do. I am note rested too. Anything to help my young dog. Just a month or so younger than Zelda.

Msmaria 03-06-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTGirlT (Post 5141617)
Hey Jakoda, i would love to know more natural remedies that i can try with her :)

I might have to try some more natural things for myself too! That is awesome it worked for you, i will defiantly try it myself when i need it (hopefully not for a while! lol!) i guess my Vet tried it for himself and said it didn't work lol

Thanks so much! :)

Yes you should Msmaria! Always worth a try and its pretty inexpensive, so if it doesn't work for Dex than at least you ruled it out. :) I use the drops and im buying more on amazon for under $12 and it lasts a while :D

I just ordered the drops and some zeel. I was going to order the pills til I read you give the drops. Dexter is on Adequan which seems to help, until nearing the end of Two weeks. I also noticed him being a little stiff when it rained her and gave him a tramadol. I probably use the tramadol one a week, but would like to stop that all together. Thanks for your update to the forum

VTGirlT 03-06-2014 02:54 PM

Oh I hope it works for your kiddo MsMaria!

Msmaria 03-08-2014 05:32 PM

The zeel came in today. Gave him his first dose. Havent got the traumeel yet.my son took him jogging a little further on thursfay and he was looking a little stiff. So ive been resting him yesterday and today. he seems fine since yesterday but I didnt want to risk it. I gave him some tumeric and an extra dose of glucosamine. I guess I will notice after his jogs.

VTGirlT 03-08-2014 06:22 PM

Thats good you know what you are looking for!

I would give the traumeel at least a couple weeks before deciding if you think it is helping at all :) Hopefully it does!

brembo 03-08-2014 06:33 PM

Think of the HD as a systemic issue as well, don't just treat the rears. Since there is likely some discomfort even on the meds she will compensate by shifting some of the moving duty to her front legs. My old guy had a bum leg now and again, might have been due to the Lupus, may have just been age, either way I learned that even though it was just one leg it ended up causing discomfort on his spine and other legs.

I will admit that I spoiled Banjo, but it was worth the effort. It made his QoL so much better. What I found helped immensely was to massage him pretty much daily. I'd find the major muscles and give them all a good deep rub. Once I found his pain threshold I'd hammer away at the muscles just below that threshold until I felt them loosen up and then give him an easy going over. He loved it, and the results were immediate, I could see his gait straighten out and I could tell he was moving with way less issue. What GSD does not want two-legs rubbing on them anyway?

I hardly just "pet" my dogs anymore, I find muscle/tendons and massage as matter of course now. The dogs dig it and it's a great way to feel for lumps and bumps besides. Yeah, my mutts are rotten.