German Shepherds Forum banner

Umbilical hernia repair surgery

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  SummerGSDLover 
#1 ·
Well... That was hard. I just dropped Yogi off this morning at 8am to get his hernia repair surgery. I've only had him since October but the little guy really makes the house a home. It's so quiet without him here. I opted for the post op pain injection and take home pain meds so I can keep him comfortable but it occurs to me that I don't know how to tell if he's in pain... Any suggestions on that? Also, how to keep a seven month old GSD quiet on crate rest with a cone on? He's got the biggest crate but I can't see how he's going to fit in it with a cone on... Or should I try letting him sleep in my bed tonight? Any post op suggestions for me?

Thanks everyone.

*-*Summer*-*

#3 ·
10-14 days. I don't have any extra money to go buy one. This will be $1430.00 after his surgery due to the guardia and insuing illness from that a couple weeks ago. Ugh that's a great idea though. Maybe I can babygate him in the downstairs bathroom at night. Remove toilet paper, add toilet lock and voila! :) what do you think?

*-*Summer*-*

#5 ·
$1430 for an umbilical hernia repair? Lucy had one and it cost me something like $75 extra on top of her spay surgery. That's pretty expensive. I think the spay and the hernia repair cost something like $400 or $500 total and my vet isn't cheap either.

Is your guy getting neutered too?

#6 ·
No. The hernia surgery itself is supposed to be $375 when I pick him up. The rest of the money was spent the last couple weeks on vets and ER vets due to giardia that no one found. He lost six pounds and wasn't eating or drinking and was dehydrated. The additional money was from four separate appointments.

*-*Summer*-*

#10 ·
Last night was interesting. The vet gave us acepromazine to chill him out and I don't think we're going to use it again. He got to the point where I had to pick him up and put him in his crate because he wouldn't lay down. Was pacing and whining and his eyes got super weird looking. Put my husband on dog duty and bought him a cone. Slept next to him til 4am til the sedative wore off and he was breathing normally. He doesn't seem to be in as much pain this morning but will be cuddling him on the couch all day. Poor guy. I'm going to look on craigslist for an xpen. Thanks everyone.

*-*Summer*-*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.