Pannus, Lupus and odd behavior linked? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pannus, Lupus and odd behavior linked?

Hello friends,

My GSD and best friend Duke was diagnosed with Pannus in both eyes and had a problem on his snout, with the preliminary biopsy saying discoid Lupus. I researched this and from what I read, discoid does not go any further than the skin. However, I took Duke to my mother's house today and he peed on the carpet in her living room. She has a home daycare and said one of the kids had liquid poop in her living room and mentioned that as a possibility(marking it). My huge concern is that Duke NEVER goes inside, not even at the pet stores, Lowes, Academy Sports, etc. he hasn't had an accident since he was 6 months old and is about to turn 4.

He is currently on 800iu per day of non-synthetic vitamin e, steroid eye drops, which we have gone down to once per day (will be completely stopping steroids after biopsy stitches are removed Tuesday), cyclosporine eye drops twice per day, extra virgin coconut oil (twice per day), Dasuquin and Wellactin. Nothing new was started within the past 72 hours, except the spilling of raw almonds in the backyard.

I wanted to tap the resources here to see if I need to be even more concerned that I already am. Just looking for honest opinions without sugar coating. Duke's health is first and foremost on my mind. Thanks!

EDIT - My concern is the big picture with this being diagnosed recently.
ALDuke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via ICQ to CMorton

With one accident I definitely wouldn't panic but keep an eye out for any further odd behavior for him. It could be as simple as marking, a UTI, who knows, but keep records at home.
Sorry for the diagnoses.
I had a dog with discoid lupus, was very self limiting but uncomfortable for her at times.
I currently have a dog with plasmoma (pannus of the third eye lids) so I appreciate the steroid drops and cyclosporine, as well as a nerve sheath tumor in his pelvic region.
Good Luck!
CMorton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Alternative Medicine for Pets: Dogs eyes, natural health consultant, third eyelids
^^^^
For the meantime, keep the eye wiped clean. If you are familiar with herbs, I recommend making a tincture of Eyebright. This herb will help cleanse the eye area and fight infection should there be one present. You can purchase Eyebright from local herb shops or order it online. It is very easy to make and 1 ounce of this will last quite a while. Simply add 1 (one) tablespoon to 24 oz (3 glasses) of water and boil heavily. The water will turn yellow to light brown. Strain the herbs and keep the tincture in a glass jar. Use a clean cotton ball on the eye for every application. Apply this 3-4 times per day. Don't be afraid to get this into the dogs eyes, it will not hurt it. Administer a few direct drops. Eyebright will help soothe, comfort and lubricate the eye membranes

In addition, I suggest adding a Vitamin A supplement to the dogs diet. A daily recommended dosage to be added to their food per dog is 700 ug or 2330 IU. Vitamin A helps regulate the immune system. The immune system helps prevent or fight off infections by making white blood cells that destroy harmful bacteria and viruses.It helps maintain the surface linings of the eyes and the respiratory, urinary, and intestinal tracts. When those linings break down, bacteria can enter the body and cause infection. Vitamin A also helps maintain the integrity of skin and mucous membranes. At least 3 million children develop xeropthalmia, damage to the cornea of the eye, and 250,000 to 500,000 go blind each year from a deficiency of vitamin A. Most of these children live in developing countries. Night blindness is one of the first signs of vitamin A deficiency. In ancient Egypt it was known that night blindness could be cured by eating liver, which was later found to be a rich source of vitamin A. Vitamin A deficiency contributes to blindness by making the cornea very dry and promoting damage to the retina and cornea. Studies have been done on dogs and have had high results from adding Vitamin A to the diet.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Holistic Care Of Pannus | Dogs Naturally Magazine

^^^
Other risk factors for Pannus include exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation and high altitudes. Avoiding direct sunlight may reduce risk. However, the many health benefits of exposure to the sun far outweigh this effect in my opinion. UV exposure can also be reduced by using specially designed dog sunglasses such as those at Doggles. Most dogs will accept sunglasses after a short period of adjustment. The rays of the sun are especially harmful, and sometimes even are painful, during the acute phase of this problem. If you decide to avoid the direct sun, then walk your dog in the early morning, in the evening, and in shaded areas.

Genteal and Systane are great OTC lubricating drops. There are even ones that contain the commonly used joint supplement hyaluronic acid (HA). HA is more frequently used to lubricate joints in arthritic patients. These drops promote natural healing
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Old 03-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the reassurance, Catherine! With all of this hitting at the same time, it's scary. I will definitely keep notes and have been doing sort of a time lapse photo album of the Pannus and Lupus for my vet.

Gator - I picked up some of the doggle goggles and they seemed to hurt around his eyes (kept pawing at the area after they were removed) so I may try some of the sunglasses doggles. They seem to keep peripheral vision and may be more comfortable. As for any additional supplements, I had asked her about the vitamin A. She did some checking and it can be toxic at higher levels, which she said could lead to liver problems.

Thanks for taking the time to help folks. It means the world to me!

Joe
Old 03-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

is he taking prednisone at all?
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by my boy diesel View Post
is he taking prednisone at all?
Diesel,

Yes he has been taking the prednisolone drops, but we are about to stop them and keep on hand for flare ups only. We started out 4 times per day and are now at once daily. Dont want to risk the cornea not healing by constant use, so glad my vet said that before I even mentioned it. I'm pretty darn luck to have found her at Family Pet Health Care. They're right here in the Priceville/Decatur Alabama area, about 2 miles from my house and flat out awesome.

My vet's name is Dr. Dawn True.

Last edited by ALDuke; 03-02-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

that is it
pred will do that to a dog
it is hard when they need it to calm inflammation
but the side effects are increased thirst and increased peeing
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALDuke View Post
Thanks for the reassurance, Catherine! With all of this hitting at the same time, it's scary. I will definitely keep notes and have been doing sort of a time lapse photo album of the Pannus and Lupus for my vet.

Gator - I picked up some of the doggle goggles and they seemed to hurt around his eyes (kept pawing at the area after they were removed) so I may try some of the sunglasses doggles. They seem to keep peripheral vision and may be more comfortable. As for any additional supplements, I had asked her about the vitamin A. She did some checking and it can be toxic at higher levels, which she said could lead to liver problems.

Thanks for taking the time to help folks. It means the world to me!

Joe
Higher levels are in the 10,000 range (not a typo)

What about "zinc responsive dermatitis"...was supplemental zinc tried first? Zinc is very important for immune function and also mimics same symptoms as discoid lupus.

How was this conclusion made (tests) that came to lupus and pannus (if you don't mind sharing)?
Old 03-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Higher levels are in the 10,000 range (not a typo)

What about "zinc responsive dermatitis"...was supplemental zinc tried first? Zinc is very important for immune function and also mimics same symptoms as discoid lupus.

How was this conclusion made (tests) that came to lupus and pannus (if you don't mind sharing)?
Don't mind at all. The Lupus was diagnosed after a biopsy was performed on samples from three parts of his snout/nose. Also will have a Derk consult for the vet, so we have a skin expert opinion for path forward. The Pannus was pretty evident after it blood vessels (believe thats what it was) started forming across the eye towards the middle, out from the dark area he Pannus started as. No Zinc was tried
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.