Fromm making my puppy's stool runny? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2014, 11:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fromm making my puppy's stool runny?

Mishka is currently on Fromm gold large breed puppy. About a week ago her stool began to soften to frozen yogurt consistency, and tonight it has gotten even worse. I took her outside for her final bathroom trip and her stool was all liquid. She also has not been eating well for the past few days. I thought it could be because she has just started teething, so her mouth could just be sore.

Our cat is also on from gold, his stool has become very loose as well in the last few days.

Does anyone think it could be related? Could it be the Fromm?

I also wondered if they might have gotten into something in the house, but I keep a clean floor, and there is nothing that I can think of that they would have eaten.

I am really worried. I am giving them electrolytes because they are not drinking their usual amounts. My GS usually goes through 2-3 bowls a day of water, today she has only had 1/2.

Should I call an e-vet?

Does anyone know what might be happening?
Mishka&Milo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2014, 11:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Bump

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 03-02-2014, 01:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

It could be that your pups tummy isn't digesting it well. I used to feed fromm too to my pup and she had loose stools. It was pretty nasty and it makes her very gassy. Her gas was unbearable and disgusting! Lol. So I switched her to taste of the wild bison and venison (grain free). Her poop is now solid and she's not as gassy. All dogs are different and sometimes you have to switch a few brands before you find the right one. You can also try canned pumpkin. That can help with her loose stool. Are you feeding him treats? It could also be that.

Mala is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 01:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

The lack of appetite and not drinking is worrisome so I'd go to vet this time just in case. Was your pup doing ok on the food up until now? Make sure to test for giardia as well. Good luck!

vwitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 02:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

We noticed that when we gave Alvin Fromm L breed puppy, and we thought it was the food. Turns out he had coccidia. After treatment his poo is firm and healthy looking.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
― Will Rogers
madis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 05:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

The not eating is a red flag. Agree vet trip. Puppy could have eaten something and be blocked, or be sick. A puppy who gets too much food will also get the runs. But not all foods agree with all dogs. Mine can't eat Orijen but I accept that it is a very good food - just not for my dog. You may have that issue with Fromm. Pup may benefit from some digestive enzymes. etc.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'm giving her some beef and rice today, and taking her to the vet in the morning. She is drinking again, and wants to eat... Just not her food

Old 03-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Fromm has a very good quality assurance program but it is possible you got a bad bag. When we got bad TOTW (just before the last recall) my dog did NOT want to eat it.

It is not just about manufacture but if it is stored incorrectly....could be the fat has gone rancid. Does it smell ok?

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 10:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Fromm has a very good quality assurance program but it is possible you got a bad bag. When we got bad TOTW (just before the last recall) my dog did NOT want to eat it.

It is not just about manufacture but if it is stored incorrectly....could be the fat has gone rancid. Does it smell ok?

That actually might be it. The first half of the bag was in an airtight container ... The part that didn't fit was left in its bag and rolled up in the closet.... That's the part she had trouble with.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.